The Columbus (O.) Department.
FIRE AND WATER, a magazine published in New York, and devoted to fire and water departments, in its issue for January 21, contains an elaborately written and illustrated description of the fire department of this city. Portraits of the chief, his assistant, and the chief of telegraph, and the twelve captains adorn the pages, together with the architect of the new buildings and the superintendent of the water-works. The headquarters house, Thurman and Russell street,and the North Columbus houses are also shown. The text begins with the department as it was in 1854 and brings the history up to date. —Dispatch, Columbus, O.