The Edward P. Allis Company.
There are in the city of Milwaukee four pumping stations which will interest the members of the American Water-works Association. The main pumping station of the city is situated at the North Point and contains a pair of 16,000,000-gallon engines, built in 1893. These engines are of the vertical compound beam type, modeled after a pair of engines in the London water-works and also after engines in the Brooklyn (N. Y.) water-works.
There is also a 12,000 000 gallon vertical beam engine in the same station built in 1881. The last engine placed in this station is an i8.ooo.ooo-gallon machine built in 1890. This engine is of the triple expansion type, and is notable as having given the highest recorded duty ever obtained from any engine built, the test by Professor Carpenter of the Cornell University showing a duty of over 152,000,000 foot pounds for each 1000 pounds of steam used. This engine gives an average monthly duty of about 120,000,000 foot pounds for each 100 pounds of coal burned, without deductions of any kind. This includes the coal used for heating the building in winter, running a small engine, driving water-works repair shop and running electric lights at night. The engines at this station have a combined capacity of about 46,000,000 gallons in twenty-four hours, the average daily consumption of the city being about 30,000,000. The water from these engines is discharged into a reservoir located about a mile and a half from the pumping station and at an elevation of 150 feet above Lake Michigan.
The water mains, however, are so arranged that the greater portion of the water passes to the city direct, the surplus only going to the reservoir,
HIGH-SERVICE PUMPING STATION.
Situated’at a distance of about two and a half miles from Lake Michigan is the high-service pumping station which supplies the greater part of the residence district of the city. In this station are two vertical triple expansion pumping engines, the one having capacity of 6,000,000 gallons in twenty-four hours and the other having a capacity of 8,000,000 in twentyfour hours. In addition to these engines there is one 3,000,000-gallon compound pumping engine which at present is used only as an auxiliary. The 6,000,000-gallon triple expansion engine in this station was constructed in 1S86, and was the first triple expansion pumping engine ever built for waterworks purposes, and will for this reason be of considerable interest to water-works engineers ns representing the pioneer in a class of engines that i rapidly becoming accepted as the most modern and best type of pumping engine built. The engines at this station pump direct to the mains having, however, a large stand-pipe connected to the service.
MILWAUKEE RIVER FLUSHING PLANT.
On the shore of Lake Mich gan is located a pumping plant for cleansing the Milwaukee river. During the summer months when the flow of the river was very slight the river became an intolerable nuisance from the sewage discharged into it. In 1888 a tunnel was driven through from Lake Michigan to the river at a point about two and a half miles from its mouth. The tunnel is twelve feet diameter and 2500 feet long and is located just below the level of the surface of Lake Michigan and about eighty feet below the surface of the ground, the city at this point being located on a bluffy At the mouth of the tunnel on the lake side is located a screw pumping engine which is forcing water into the river at the rate of about 40,000 cubic feet per minute, displacing the entire volume of the river in from eighteen to twenty-four hours. The volume of water pumped by this engine is, as far as we are aware, the largest handled by any single machine in the world.
SEWAGE PUMPING WORKS.
At Jones Island, near the mouth of the Milwaukee river, is located a pumping plant for pumping sewage from the intercepting sewers and the Menominee river. In this station is one large centrifugal pump having a capacity of about 70.000,000 gallons in twenty-four hours, raised fifteen feet. This plant was put in in 1885 and has been in constant operation since that time and has been so successful that duplicate machines have been ordered for Chicago, and more recently six for the city of Boston.
AH of the pumping engines in Milwaukee, as above described, were built by The E. P. Allis Company, whose works are located on Clinton street and what is known as the ** South side ” of the city. The works were founded by the late Edward P. Allis in i860, and since Mr. Allis’ demise in 1889, the business has been carried on by The Edward P. Allis Company, incorporated, with V. Y. Allis, president ; E. P. Allis, Jr., vice-president ; Edwin Reynolds, second vice-president and superintendent ; Charles Al’is, secretary and treasurer. The plant occupies five city blocks, or about twenty four acres, with a street frontage of 1400 feet and seventeen acres of floor space. The average number of men employed is 1500, and the value of manufactured products per year exceeds $3,000,000. The average receipts and shipments amount to 8000 carloads per year. The foundries produce about 3,000,000 pounds of castings per month The principal business of the concern is the building of high grade Corliss engines for all stationary purposes, electric lighting, street railways, etc. Also high duty pumping engines, making a specialty of the triple expansion pumping engines. They build various types of pumping engines for water-works service, sewage and drainage works and for irrigating purposes. They also build a large line of mining machinery, consisting of hoisting engines, air compressors, steam stamps, etc., besides blowing engines and rolling mill engines for steel and iron plants. The firm also has the distinction of being the largest flour mill builders in the world, and in addition have an extensive saw mill business. Other illustrations show a general view of the works, partial view of the draughting room, view in the main foundry and cut of triple expansion pumping engine.