THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AT LYNN AND SOME OF ITS MOTOR APPARATUS
Illustrations on this page show some of the motor driven apparatus of the fire department at Lynn, Mass., which is commanded by Chief Edward E. Chase who is stationed at the Broad street station and who is shown seated in his Chalmers-Detroit motor car, which was purchased in 1910. Ladder Company No. 3 is located at the Broad street station and is commanded by Captain Belfield. This is equipped with an eighty-five foot American-La France aerial ladder truck which was purchased in 1906 and which was motorized with a Knox-Martin thirty-five horse power tractor, in 1913. At the Broad Street station is also located Engine Company No. 4. The engine is an extra first size Amoskeag engine which was bought in 1904 and which was motorized ten years later, with an A. and B. tractor. The maximum speed is 30 m. p. h. The wagon attached to this company was purchased in 1912, and was motorized the next year by placing it on a Federal chassis. It carries 1,200 feet of 2‘4-inch hose and is equipped with a six way Morse wagon gun. The maximum speed is 30 m. p. h. This company is commanded by Captain Downer. Chemical Company No. 1,commanded by Lieutenant Haddock, is also housed at the Broad street station. It is equipped with a Pope-Hartford chemical car with two sixty-gallon tanks. This machine, bought in 1912, has 50-horse power. At the Lewis street station is Combination Company No. 4, Captain Martin, commander, and it has a Knox combination car purchased in 1912 which has two thirty-five gallon tanks and a hose capacity of 1,200 feet of 2 1/2-inch host. This machine has a 50-horse power motor. Chemical No. 5 (Combination Company), at the Broadway fire station is equipped with a Seagrave combination car which has a six cylinder 80horse power motor, two thirty-five gallon tanks and capacity for carrying 1,200 feet of 2 1/2-inch hose. It was purchased in 1913. At the Chestnut street station. Engine Company No. 2. Captain Phillips, is stationed. This company has an Ahrens-Fox pumping engine purchased in 1913 and which has a pumping capacity of 800 gallons per minute, and has a six-cylinder motor, and a hose capacity of 1.220 feet of 2 54-inch hose. This engine pumped for seventeen hours at the Salem fire in 1914. The photographs and description of the apparatus was kindly furnished by H. S. Walker of Lynn.