THE FIREBOAT “ ROBERT A. VAN WYCK.”
In the issue of FIRE AND WATER for February 5, 1898, appeared a full description, with cuts, of the new fireboat ” William L. Strong,” lately built by John H. Dialogue & Son, of Kalghn’s Point. Camden, N. J., and designed by Mr. H.de B.Parsons, of 22 William street,in this city. Since being launched the boat’s name has been changed and she will nowfigure as the ” Robert A. Van Wyck.”
Her fir pumps, which are extra large and powerful, were built by the American Fire Engine Company.of Seneca Fads, N. Y., and may be described as simple duplex-acting directconnected pumps of the Clapp & Jones type, with crank-andfly-wheel attachment. There are two complete pumps,weighing about thirteen tons and with a guaranteed capacity ol 6.000 gallons of water per minute against a working pressure of 170 pounds to the square inch. The steam cylinders are made of hard cast iron and fitted with piston valves. They are seventeen inches in diameter, by eleven inches stroke. The water cylinders, like the greater part of the pumps, are of composition metal, ten inches diameter by eleven inches stroke. A good idea of the power of these pumps may be gained from the fact that they will be able to force one four-inch nozzle stream 400 feet, or four two-inch streams. 250 feet, or fifteen one and one-quarter-inch streams, 200 feet. The engraving herewith shows the set of pumps, arranged so as to present a front and rear view, as they appeared ready to put aboard the boat. The simplicity and beauty of design and compact construction are strikingly shnown. The builders of this type of fire pump for marine fire service have already furnished a number of them for fireboats stationed at New York, and at boston, Chicago, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and other cities.
The “Robert A. Van Wyck” is for the use of New York city.