THE GLENDALE FIRE COMPANY.
The Glendale fire company, of Easthampton, Mass., has just dedicated its new hall, a ball and concert accompanying the function. The new hall is 72 ft. by 36 ft., and, though it forms an addition to the old hall, is larger than the original building. The new hall has a large stage and a perfect dancing floor. It is also fitted with vapor and shower baths and all the equipment of a Turkish bath. Steam and hot water for the baths and for heating the building are provided through pipes from the mill boilers. The original building will now be used as a clubhouse and for the smaller social gatherings. It has been provided with a complete kitchen outfit for the preparation of refreshments or suppers. A domed roof was added to the older building last year, and the combined structures present an attractive appearance. The Glendale Mill company furnished the material for the addition, and much of the work was done by the firemen themselves, under the supervision of Chief Fred. C. Howard. The Glendale fire company has been in existence many years, and up to 1895 it responded with the town companies to all alarms of fire. But the fire underwriters offered objection to leaving the mill unprotected at times of fire elsewhere, and in the year mentioned the company was reorganised for service in the mill alone. For immediate service in any room the company is divided into ten groups of four men each, and each group has a foreman. The social phase of the company’s activities began to develop in 1899, when the compansy first occupied Glendale hall. To the social life in the hall there has been added the annual outing. At this outing the Glendale minstrel troupe usually gives a performance, and the Glendale band furnishes music. For the social cocascions in the hall the Glendale orchestra plays. But, perhaps, even more important to the promotion of the social life than the musical organicstions is the women’s aid society, which was formed a few months ago.