THE HONOLULU FIRE SERVICE
According to records compiled in the office of Chief Charles H. Thurston of the Honolulu, T. H., the fire losses in 1915 in that city amounted to $81,938.38. While the loss was greater than in the year 1914, the number of alarms turned in was fewer by nine, being 122 in 1914 and 113 in 1915, and Chief Thurston accounts for the heavier loss last year by two costly fires, one in the Schumann garage, which damaged automobile tires, and that of the Grossman residence in Nuuanu, which was not reported until the house was nearly destroyed. There were 19 false alarms last year. Causes of fires were as follows: F’ireworks, 5; unknown, 17; incendiary, 2; electric currents, 13; boiling tar, 2; kerosene stoves, 4; sparks from stovepipes, 4; ashes, 1; children playing with matches, 3; tobacco smokmg, 10; automobi’es, 6; matches. 1; gasoline engine, 1; sparks from stove, 1; boiling creosote, 1; grass fires, 2; kerosene lamps, 5; spontaneous combustion, 3; heating asphaltum, 1; rubbish, 5; electric iron, 1; defective stove pipes, 1; motorcycle, 1; gasoline, 1; sparks from rubbish. 1; charcoal iron, 1; total, 113. The Honolulu department is all motorized. F.ight pieces of Seagravc apparatus are in service. An illustration showing the handsome central fire station at Honolulu appears on this page.
Two stores were destroyed and three others were damaged recently by a fire in Nuuanu street, Honolulu. The fire, which started in a jewelry store, spread to a tailor shop on the same floor, and then to another tailor shop next door, and then to other stores adjoining. The entire block was threatened, but Chief Thurston and the department prevented further spread of the flames. The cause of the fire is not known.
Planing Mill Damaged.
Fire which broke out in the Honolulu planing mill on Fort street, Honolulu, at 5 o’clock in the morning recently, destroyed the rear portion of the mill, but Chief Thurston was able to keep the flames from the front portion. The structure was of wood and corrugated iron. A large amount of lumber was destroyed and machinery damaged, the damage being estimated i t the neighborhood of $10,000. The alarm was turned in by a marine from the naval station who sr.w the fire and signaled from Box 34 at Fort and Allen streets. Central station engines and hostcarts arrived on the scene first, followed soon by apparatus from the Palatna and Makikt stations, which answered to a second alarm. “The structure was practically gone before the alarm reached us first,” said Chief Thurston, “and as we left the station at Fort and Beretania we could see the reflection from the flames lighting up the sky. It wa one of the biggest fires we have had in a long while. The new engines worked beautifully in this first big tryout, in fact they saved the day and kept it from being worse.”