The Macon Water System
J. E. Guilford, secretary of the Board of Water Commissioners of Macon, Ga., recently spoke on the Macon water supply at a meeting of the Rotary Club in that city. Mr. Guilford showed the advancement made in the water system since 1870 and 1880, and said in part: “This system was used for many years, but it was soon outgrown and the water works was moved to Tuft Springs, where it stayed for many years, until the city outgrew that source, and it was moved to the river just above Vineville branch. This location being in turn outgrown the works were moved to the present location, since which time many improvements have been made. The city bought the water works in 1911 for the sum of $699,000 and a bond issue was voted, which included $200,000 for improvements. Two new pumps were bought and a house to receive them was built at the expense of $30,000, new filters installed and the filter house built, costing $22,500. Since that time the city has laid fifty miles of mains. Then there were 43 4-10 miles. This makes about ninety miles of mains that the city now has. The city has 320 fire hydrants, which doubles the fire protection of 1911. These fire hydrants and the mains were installed at the expense to the board of water commissioners of $294,000. The commissioners now have under course of construction a new high duty pump, which will cost $17,000, and a house for the pump, which will cost $6,000. The new pump will supply the Vineville standpipe, which lias been raised ten feet to increase the pressure in the hill section of the city, and has a daily capacity of 5,000,000 gallons, making a total of 10,000,000 daily capacity for the city. This makes a total of $369,000 spent for improvements since 1911, when the bond issue was carried, which provided only $200,000 and as the water commission is a selfsupporting institution, it is necessary for it to pay every year interest to the amount of $40,000 on the bonds and $20,000 a year for the sinking fund before any improvements can be made.