THE MERRILL HILL RESERVOIR.
Merrill hill reservoir, recently completed, cost the Auburn, Me., water board $52,241.73. As the greater part of the expense has been paid from the service-receipts, the bond issue will be small. Work on this reservoir was begun in 1899 by the purchase of a $2,500 lot. The basin is 297 ft. higher than North Bridge. In 1900, 1.400 ft. of 20-in. pipe was laid up Court street trom Summit to the road leading to the reservoir, costing $4,944.54. The year following a 24-in. pipe was laid from Court street to the site of the reservi ir, costing $5,803.54. These two jobs were done with surplus money. For a few years the work was idle according to plans of the commission, while the system was earning money to complete the extension. In 1906 excavations were made, costing $6,590.56. This work necessitated much labor and blasting. Nine thousand yds. of stone and 5,000 yds. of earth were removed. An Auburn man was given the contract for the cement work on a per cent, basis. He furnished the machinery and a construction engineer, S. J. Kneeland. His bill was $26,000. Under Supt. Bisbee, stock and labor amounting to $2,929.95 was used. The gatehouse cost $114.31; the regulator well and regulator. $697.11; hauling sand, $1,317.33; clay, $38.40; teams for back-filling, $756.33; making a total of $2,454.06. The incidentals, such as coal and wood, dynamite, etc., amounted to $207.66. About $500 will come hack in the sale of machinery and buildings. Supt. Bisbee has personally looked after every detail with a due regard to economy and thoroughness. One of the reasons work was temporarily suspended on the reservoir from 1900 to 1906, was to enable the commissioners to lay a large pipemain to the lake. Few cities have now a better water system than Auburn.
At FJavward, Cal., the People’s Water company has installed nine boilers at Crow canyon where a pumping plant is being built. The plant is a part of the gigantic scheme to carry the water from the Rocky Ridge shed through Crow and Cull canyons by tunnel to Redwood eanvon, and thence into the main reservoir at lake Chabot.