The Montgomery Fire Service
Attention to the commendable work done towards providing better safeguards in the prevention of disastrous fires, as indicated by improvements made and under way, in Montgomery, Ala., is called in a supplementary bulletin issued by the Fire Prevention Committee of the National Board of Fire Underwriters. A report was made in 1914 and a bulletin issued in 1915. In May of this year an engineer of the board revisited the city and the bulletin now issued states the fire department is now under the control of a Board of Public Safety, appointed by the Legislature; 3 men have been added, making a total fire force of 59. A motor combination pump, chemical and hose wagon has been installed at headquarters, Hose 4 converted into an engine company, with the steamer formerly in service at Station 3, which received the horse-drawn engine formerly at Headquarters, and 6,000 feet of 2½-inch hose has been purchased. A contract has been awarded for an additional motor combination pump, chemical and hose wagon and a motor quick-raising aerial truck equipped with a ladder pipe. It is recommended very necessary that this pumping engine be installed in Station 6 and the company strength be increased two men. Other essential improvements needed are a motor combination hose wagon with 6 men at the South McDonough street station, a ladder company of 6 men at Station 2 with the present 50-foot service ladder truck, 3-inch hose for outside leads, and a drill tower, with regular department drill school. An ordinance prohibiting the covering or repairing of any roof in the city with wooden shingles became effective March 1, 1916. In other respects the building laws remain essentially unchanged. An extension of the fire limits is necessary to properly protect the business district. An ordinance creating the office of city electrical inspector, defining his duties and further defining the duties of the city electrician, was adopted in January, 1916. The ordinance is sufficiently comprehensive to ensure excellent control of all new installations of electric wiring and a gradual cleaning up of defects common to many of the older installations.