THE OLD “MUTUAL” FIRE HOUSE.
The condemnation and approaching tearingdown of the old “Mutual” fire engine station at the southwest corner of Centre and Chambers streets, Manhattan, New York, causes the metropolis to lose another of its old (if very ugly) landmarks. To build it cost the city $100,000. The Mutual hook and ladder company was first organised on Eebruary 15, 1786. It was then located in Beaver street, which has long since passed out of existence by that name. The first member was Anthony Abrams. Another member was Noah L. Earnhani, after whom a G. A. R. post is named. He was a member of the Mutual, when it was established in the quarters that are now to be torn down. Later be died of wounds received at the battle of Bull Run. Other members were George II. Purser, a prominent politician, who at one time ran for mayor on the Tammany ticket, and was defeated, because he was accused of being the author of a scurrilous attack on the Roman Catholic church in a book called “Maria Monk.” Other members were as follows: The late President Chester A. Arthur, Cornell Gilliam. David Contant. Moses Lichtenstein. at that time the famous tobacco merchant of the Bowery; Elisha Kingsland, late chief engineer of the present fire department; Andrew Schenck. who was burned to death in a fire on Broadway opposite City Hall park; and Charles E. Gilderslecvc. who was the first secretary of the new fire department. Mayor William H. Wickham also ran with the Mutual machine. That was in 1850. At the great fire of 1835, when the lower section of the city—then very small—was destroyed, the Mutuals did fine work, and ten years later, when the section centred by Wall and Broad streets was in danger, the volunteers did great work.