The Port Huron (Mich) Fire Department.
This department, owing to the excellent water system, has not as large an equipment as might be expected for a city of nearly 15,000 population. It is, however, one of the best disciplined in the State. Its actual working force consists of one hose company and one hook and ladder and hose company combined. In reserve are one steamer and one hose carriage. This year a valuable addition was made to the equipment by the purchase of a new hose wagon with a capacity of 1200 feet of hose, and an electric fire alarm system. These have been, it is slated, the only additions made to the department in sixteen years.
The sleeping accommodation for the men has also been greatly improved, until it now ranks first-class in all its appointments. The force is partly paid, except the drivers, who are fully paid. The present chief engineer, (leorge II. lluner, has been at the head of the department for a considerable time, and previous to his appointment served for seven years in dif. ferent grades of the service. The present efficiency of the service is attributed to a great extent to his energy and zeal. The water-works system is Holly direct pumping, giving a pressuie of from 60 to 150 pounds. There arc thirty-six miles of pipe and 175 hydrants. A portrait of Chief lluner was published in the issue of Finn AND WATKK of August 8 last.