The Town of Muskogee, Indian Territory.
An occasional correspondent in Indian Territory writes as follows:—The town of Muskogee has no regular system of water-works. Water for domestic purposes is obtained principally from cisterns. There area few wells, bnt the well water is not good.
For fire protection there is an artificial lake in the northern part of the town. The lake is about a quarter of a mile square and the average depth of water is about four feet when the lake is full. It is filled by rainfall during the winter and spring seasons and although it has been in use for about eight years and sometimes gets rather low during the summer months, it has never yet been knowm to go perfectly dry.
At the M., K. & T. R. R., round house on the east bank of the lake, is a duplex steam pump with 5-inch suction and 4-inch discharge. From this pump there is a line of 4-inch standard W. I. Pipe about three-fourths of a mile in length which runs up through the business part of towm, and at various points along the line are 2}⅛ inch fire plugs eight in number.
The fire plugs are simply 2j^-inch gate valves with brass hose nipples, placed in a heavy wooden box under ground to prevent freezing. The pump is the property of the M., K. & T. R. R. Co., and the engineer has instructions from the railroad company to pump water for the fire company whenever the alarm of fire is given. Muskogee has a volunteer fire company of 18 men ; one hook and ladder, one hose cart, and 1,000 feet of 2j£-inch hose. The 4-inch line and firemen’s outfit was furnished by the business men of the town. There are people ready to organize a company to put in a regular system of waterworks as soon as a franchise can be obtained, but under the present condition of the country (the Indian law’) it is impossible. The town is not incorporated and there are no city officers.
The semi-annual statement of the firemen’s pension fund of Philadelphia shows that during the past six months $23.314.16 was expended, of which $1,522.82 was paid for pensions, and the balance was used in sundry expenses and for the purchase of mortgages. The amount received during the period amounted to$i8,386.52, of which $439 was donated, while the balance was collected from life members and interest on mortgages previously purchased. John T. Carman, treasurer, has submitted the following report for the period ending December 31, 1893: balance on hand June 30, 1893, $15,938.03 ; received from the secretary, $18,386.52 ; total, $34,324-55 J pnid orders Nos. 164 to 230 inclusive, $23,314.16 ; balance on hand January 1, 1894, $11,010.39.
The worth of the pension fund is as follow’s: Invested in Pennsylvania Railroad stock, $6,688.75 ; invested in first mortgages, $39,306.14 ; cash on hand, $11,010.39 , total, 57,005.58.