The Water Supply of Johnstown, Pa.
A correspondent at Johnstown, Pa., sends the following description of the recently completed water-works improvements at that place:
“Up to the present time there have been five sources of supply, but in dry weather there was always a necessity for economizing water. Several years ago it was determined to strengthen the system by another line of pipe. Work was commenced in 1889, but interrupted for some months by the great flood. A few days ago the work was completed.
“ The line cost in the neighborhood of $225,000. It has a length of 2t,ooo feet, a trifle over four miles. The ‘intake ’ house is situated on the east bank of the Stony creek, a half mile above Border station on the Somerset and Cambria branch of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. It is of stone— broken range work—and cost about $4000. It is twenty feet square and thirty feet in height, and contains the gates and screens necessary to prevent drift from entering the pipe. From the ‘ intake ’ house the line lies through a rough, mountainous district, crossing and recrossing the stream in five different places, piercing two hills by means of tunnels, and finally connecting with the Mill creek pipe at Ferndale, just across the river from Moxham.
“ One of the tunnels begins at Border station and terminates near Ingleside. It is 1800 feet in length. The other tunnel starts at a point a half mile below the Red bridge, passes through Hog Back mountain, and terminates at Ferndale. It has a length of 1600 feet. Immense quantities oi rock were taken from these borings, much of it by blasting, and several carloads of powder were required.
“ The pipe is of cast iron, 36 inches in diameter, has a pressure of 73 pounds per square inch, and averages 460 pounds per foot-a total weight for the entire line of 4800 tons. Sixty-five tons of lead were required in making the joints, each joint taking 75 pounds. The ditch in which the pipe is laid is 5⅝ feet wide and 6 feet deep.
“ U taxed to its full capacity this line of pipe could carry 2,000,000 gallons of water per hour, or 48,000,000 gallons every twenty-four hours. Its completion forever disposes of all causes for fearing a famine in this city, even in the dryest seasons, for it can supply everyone of 30,000 people with 1500 gallons of water every twenty-four hours, whereas it is allowed that sixty gallons per head for both domestic and commercial purposes is ample.”
ASBESTOS COMPANIES Consolidate.—It is announced that the five leading companies engaged in the manufacture of asbestos, the H. W. Johns Manufacturing Company, of No. 87 Maiden lane, New York ; the Chalmers-Spence Company, of No. 59 Liberty street, the Asbestos Packing Company and Charles W. Trainer & Co., of Boston, and the .Shield & Brown Company of Chicago, have consolidated. The new corporation will be called the 11. W. Johns Manufacturing Company, as the old company of that name was the pioneer in the business and had the largest factory and business. The capital stock has been fixed at $1,250,000. A new building will be erected at the factory of the old H. W. Johns Company, in Brooklyn, and factories will also be put up in Chicago and Boston. The officers of the new company are : II. W. Johns, president; R. H. Martin, vice-president ; C. H. Patrick, treasurer, and G. P. Erhard, secretary. Mr. Martin was president of the Chalmers-Spence Company, while Messrs. Patrick and Erhard are well known from their long connection with the old II. W. Johns Company. It is expected that by the new arrangement the cost of manufacturing the various products of asbestos will he considerably reduced.