The Water System of Taunton
The source of the water supply of Taunton, Mass., is the Lakeville ponds. The water is pumped from Assawompset into Elder’s pond and conveyed to Taunton by gravity, and is distributed by direct pumping. The water works were constructed in 1876. The commissioners are Henry M. Lovering, Silas D. Presbrey, M.D., and Peter H. Corr. The clerk and superintendent is George A. King. The population by census of 1911 was 34,259. The total consumption for the year ending November 30, 1915, according to the department’s annual report, was 808,764,698 gallons, of which 454,136,408 gallons passed through meters, the percentage of consumption metered being 56. The average daily consumption was 2,215,793 gallons, being 65 gallons per day to each inhabitant or consumer, and 385 gallons per day to each tap. The builders of the pumping machinery were: At Taunton, Holly Manufacturing Company and Snow Steam Pump Works. At Lakeville, Edward P. Allis Company. The total of distribution mains in use was 95.47 miles, of which 2.27 miles was extended during the year. The number of hydrants in use was: Public, 880; private, 185; total, 1,065. Raynham, public, 8; private, 3; total, 11. The number of hydrants added during the year in Taunton was 23. The number of services in use was 5,755. The number of meters in use was 3,424, the percentage of services metered being 59½. The percentage of receipts from metered water was 77 1/2. The receipts were $93,887.55, and the expenditures were: Total maintenance, $78,319.55; total construction, $36,416.88. There were construction appropriations of $30,000. The report states that the water has been free from objectionable odors or tastes during the year. The necessity of stoppage of pumping from Assawompset pond in Elder’s pond while changes were being made in the boiler equipment at Lakeville caused the surface of Elder’s pond to drop to a low level. The decision of the Magee Furnace Company to locate their plant on the old Fair Grounds seemed to call for better fire protection for that section. The mains in that section were all 6-inch pipes. It was decided to lay a 12-inch main for the 12-inch pipe at the corner of Wales and Oak streets by the way of Oak street and Oak avenue, to the premises of the Magee Furnace Company, a distance of seven-tenths of a mile. Connection was made with the 6-inch main on Agricultural avenue at its westerly end. Relative to new boilers, the report says the boiler room was’ enlarged, an addition on the north side, 22×30 feet, was built and a contract for two horizontal return tubular boilers, 60-inchcs in diameter with 18-foot tubes, was made with the Hodge Boiler Works of East Boston, and the boilers have been set. The report further says: The result of the test to see if the new ten milliongallon Snow pumping engine complied with the terms of the contract was published in the annual report. Several auxiliary tests have since been made to determine the friction of the engine and, as a result of these tests, Mr. Dean, the consulting engineer, assures the board that the friction is extremely low. The engine’s speed is automatically governed by the water pressure. The engine is giving entire satisfaction and seems admirably fitted for the service that is is required to perform.