THE WATER WORKS SYSTEM OF MASSILLON
Massillon, Ohio, located on the Lincoln Highway, in Stark County, and having a population of about 16,000, has an up-to-date water plant with excellent fire protection. The water works, owned by the Massillon Water Supply Company, were built in 1880 and 1887 by Samuel R. Bullock & Co., taking water from an impounding reservoir located on Sippo Creek in the northeast part of the city, about 60 feet above the center of town and a distance of one mile from same. This water not being satisfactory for domestic use, the source of supply was changed to artesian wells which W’erc drilled in the northwest part of the city, near Newman’s Creek and the Tuscarawas River. A new station was built and the company commenced to furnish well water in 1893 from six deep wells, adding more from time to time, until at the present writing there are an even dozen. The water is secured from the sand rock, and is of an excellent quality, and so far the quantity is ample. There are now over thirty miles of mains, from 4 to 16 inches in diameter, also several miles of smaller pipe lines. There are 320 double nozzle fire hydrants of the Ludlow pattern, which are well distributed, protecting the whole city. The company has 3,500 services with 1,675 meters, or about 50 per cent, of said number being metered, and are adding a large number of new meters every year. The main pumping station is located inside the city limits, near the wells, and is composed of a neat brick structure, surrounded by an attractive park, with well kept walks and drives, with lily pond, cooling fountain and surrounding a wooded island, all of which is very attractive, especially during the summer months. The station contains an ample steam plant of three Erie City tubular boilers with a combined capacity of 350 horsepower. There are three pumps, one power pump of 1,500,000 gallons capacity, driven by a Corliss engine with patent speed regulator; one Deane pumping engine of 1,000,000 gallons, and one Blake pump of 2,000,000 gallons, used for fires only, making a combined capacity of 4,500,000 gallons. There is also a Blake 2,000,000 gallon pump with a 125 horsepower boiler, located at the reservoir and used as a reserve station. There is also a low pressure system which supplies reservoir water to the manufacturing plants and railroads by gravity. The standpipe is of iron with spiral staircase. It is 25 feet in diameter and 150 feet high, and is located at the reservoir. The present superintendent, A. W. Inman, has been in charge of the company’s affairs for twenty-five years. He is treasurer of the Central States Section of the American Water Works Association and is w’ell known in water works circles.