The Waterworks of Portland.
The water system of Portland, Ore., was changed from pumping to gravity January 1, 1895, and the water rates have been reduced several times, till they are now about one-third of what they were when the private company furnished the water. In 1886 waterworks bonds to the amount of $500,000 were sold, and the total earnings since 1887 have been $5,524,534.54. The price paid by the city for the waterworks system was $464,511.81. Additional pumps and mains from Palatine have cost $279,046.13. The net cost of pumping systems has been $1,046,314.06: of the distribution system, including extension of mains since 1886, 81.607.162.14. The total expenditure on the Bull Run gravity system has been $2.867,811—making a grand total of $5,524,534.54. The cost of the Bull Run svstem included among other items $57,245.92 for head works on the Bull Run river; steel plates for conduit, head works to Mount Tabor, $377,312.30; for their manufacture and laying, $569,945.72; bridges for conduit across Sandy and Bull Run rivers, $57,146.22; manufacturing and laying cast iron conduit from Mount Tabor to Park, $288,588.70; submerged pipes, $132,651.51; four reservoirs, with land, $1,157,589.29; Portland Heights supply, waterpower pumps, etc., $34,476.64 ; 30 miles of telephone wire to head works, $7,261.51. Since 1887 the gross earnings of the waterworks system increased from $97,502.71 to $639,083.80—making a total during these twenty years of $6,692,684. The operating expenses and repairs in 1887 amounted to $47,000.77; in 1907, to $97,074.16— total for the twenty years, $1,123,373.66; net income from the waterworks during the same period, $4,823,958.01. F’rank T. Dodge is superintendent of the water department of the city.