THE WESTVILLE FIRE COMPANY.
The fire company of Westville, Conn., is volunteer It started in 1890 as the Dickerman hose company, and is now known as the Westville hose, hook and ladder company. Its membershio was originally sixteen, with the following officers: George Hinman, sr., foreman; Murdock Dingwall, assistant foreman (now chief); L. B. Cheney, secretary; Carlyle Mansfield, treasurer; Amos Dickerman, William S. Beecher. and Burton Dickerman were appointed to act as the first board of fire commissioners. A hose cart with 1,000 feet of hose was purchased and installed in the barn of Joseph D. Payne, on Fountain street, until the erection of the present building on Alden avenue, which was dedicated on November 10, 1890. The erection of the hose house was due largely to the generosity of W. S. Beecher and Amos Dickerman. The hose drying rack and the meeting room on the second floor were added shortly afterwards, at a cost of $400, which was paid b” the members of the company. The furnishings of this room were given principally by S. Wheeler Beecher. On August 4, 1890, nine new members, including James Mercer, the present captain, were enrolled, and the company then numbered over a score of names, all of good standing. At a meeting held December 9, 1891, Murdock Dingwall was elected foreman, and on December 14, 1892. was appointed chief, which position he now holds. In 1893 a new hook and ladder truck was purchased by the company at a cost of *650. and was first used in a parade “iven on November 7 of the same year. Uoon the addition of the new apparatus the company assumed its present name, the Westville hose, hook and ladder company. During its subsequent historv the company has grown steadily in numbers, and has prospered financially. It has done much good work, and has shown its skill at several large fires. The organisation now numbers thirty-six members. Its officers are as follows: Murdock Dingwall, chief; James Mercer, captain; Alexander Dingwall, first lieutenant; W. J. Smith, second lieutenant; W. W. Speery, secretary: Frederick Broth, treasurer. Mr. Speery and Mr. Roth have occupied their positions for a number of years and have rendered much valuable service to the company. At the present time the company is equinoed with a hook and ladder truck, one hose cart with 1,500 feet of hose, and a new hose truck The present board of fire commissioners consists of W. S. Beecher, George M. Taylor, and George Gris-
A corresponden at Tucson. Ariz., writes that the Troy laundry building of that city was destroyed by fire on the t8th instant. The total loss was $12,000 and insurance $8,200. The fire had a good start before it was discovered, and its cause is unknown.