Three Years of Progress in Motor-Fire Apparatus
GENERAL NEWS FEATURES
Never in the history of the fire service of the world has there been such rapid and great progress made in the adoption of new fire equipment as there has been in the purchase of motor apparatus since the first chief’s car was purchased at Newton, Mass., June llth, 1903, and the first chemical hose wagon at New London, Conn., Oct. 6th of the same year. During the past three years the increase has been almost equal to that of the enure preceding seven years. The following table taken from the statistics of FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING, with the addition of figures recently compiled, indicates the increase of a large number of cities and towns of the United btates and Canada during that period. These dgures indicate a similar increase in many other places. When steam fire engines succeeded hand engines just sixty years ago, it took more than forty years to have as many of them placed in service as there has been pieces of motor apparatus of various kinds placed in service during the past ten years, and at the present time very little horse-drawn apparatus is being made. To the manufacturers of fire apparatus and the rapidity with which they devised and manufactured motor apparatus is largely due the wonderful progress which has been made in its adoption throughout the country.
MOTOR APPARATUS IN SERVICE: