To Purify Champlain Water.

To Purify Champlain Water.

Campers, fishermen and dwellers on the shores of the Au Sable river and lake Champlain will have relief from the refuse formerly thrown away by woodpttlp mills. Edward Hatch, jr., has solved the difficulty. Mr. Hatch tried for ten years, through law and the State legislature, to induce the J. & J. Rogers pulpmills at Au Sable Forks to dispose of their waste in some unobjectionable way. His efforts were in vain, until he showed how they could prevent the pollution of the streams with financial profit. The Rogers company employed a chemist, who discovered that the waste-products were almost as valuable as the woodpulp manufactured. In making woodpulp 40 per cent, of the whole weight of wood used consists of wood fibre, while the other 60 per cent, of balsam, alkaloids, etc., includes chemicals needed in manufacture. From this 60 per cent, has been produced a resinous by-product which is now in demand as a substitute for corn meal and molasses in casting cores in iron foundries, for use in tanneries and as a top-dressing for macadam roads.

Brewton, Ala., has received and installed its new equipment.

No posts to display