Toronto Opens New Station
On Friday, March 4, 1955, Fire Chief Joseph Waterman was host at the opening of a new and modern fire station to serve the City of Toronto in the Dundas-Parliament Street areas. This new station replaces one which was built in 1876 and which is being demolished.
The cost of the new station was approximately $200,000 and was constructed to accommodate three pieces of firefighting apparatus. At the present time there is a new 100-foot all steel aerial ladder, and a new 840 gallon pumper stationed therein.
All the furnishings in this hall are modern and new. The bedrooms, sitting rooms and kitchen are all decorated in two different shades of pastel colors. The apparatus walls are tiled from the floor to the ceiling, and the hose drying room, which is at the rear of the apparatus floor, has hose drying racks to accommodate twenty fifty-foot lengths of hose.
Toronto F. D. Photo
Toroto F. D. Photo
Toronto F.D. Photo
The modern kitchen is equipped with an electric stove and refrigerator, tubular steel arborite topped table and straight back tubular steel chairs upholstered in red leather, and there is ample cupboard space. The sitting room and alarm room are furnished with tubular arm chairs upholstered in red leather, and the large locker room has individual steel lockers for each man.
Another modern feature of this new hall are the night lights in the upper halls and apparatus room, which are built in the wall about twenty-four inches above the floor level. All the floors throughout are colorfully tiled in shades to complement the wall colors.
His Worship, the Mayor, Nathan Phillips, officiated at the opening of the new hall and guests included members of the Board of Control, Councilmen, Heads of various Civic Departments and other distinguished guests, including George Haering, Consul General for the United States, who is also an Honorary Fire Chief of the Toronto Fire Department and an active Honorary member of Box 12 Association; John Chisholm, Chief Constable of the City of Toronto; W. J. Scott, O.B.E., Ontario Fire Marshal, and J. W. Arnott, President of Box 12 Association.
The apparatus room and sitting room were tastefully decorated in palms, plants and flowers, compliments of the Commissioner of Parks, Mr. George Bell.
After the official opening, a tour of inspection was made by the Mayor and visiting guests, and a demonstration of the new aerial ladder and pumper was conducted.
It is anticipated that work will commence this summer on the construction of another new hall to replace an old station in the Keele Street area. This new hall will be constructed similar to the architecture of the new No. 7 Hall.