TORONTO’S NEW FIRE CHIEF.
After the lapse of many weeks, during which the fire brigade of Toronto, Ont., has been in a headless condition—was no man’s child, but served as a football for conflicting parties to kick from one to the other, Mr. John Thompson, deputy chief of the brigade, has been appointed—as he should have been appointed immediately on Chief Graham’s retirement—chief of the brigade. The citizens, who were all along on his side, are naturally rejoiced at the success of those in the city council who have steadfastly adhered to the rule that seniority, accompanied (as in this case) with merit, should rule in all municipal appointments, and have triumphantly carried their point.
Chief Thompson is a native of Ballymoney, county Armagh, Ireland, and is fifty-one years of age. In February 1868, when twenty years of age, he came to Canada, and engaged in business in Toronto for eight years. On January 1, 1879. he became a member of the Toronto fire brigade—his first station being at the Berkeley street fire hall, where he remained for one year, at theexpirat ion of which he woe promoted to the foremanship of the newly erected fire hall on Wilton avenue For thirteen years he remained in charge of this hall, and in 1883 he was appointed to take charge of the eastern district, in addition to his duties as foreman. He continued to discharge the duties of his dual office until 1889, when he was transferred to Lombard street and appointed district chief of the central district by the late Chief Ardagh. In 1895, on the promotion of Deputy Chief Graham to the position rendered vacant by the death of Chief Ardagh, he became deputy chief, which position he held until he received the appointment of chief. He enters upon the performance of the duties of bin office with the best wishes of his many friends in, and outside of the Queen City of the Dominion.