Two Boys With a Candle Cause Loss of School-House at Hazelton

Two Boys With a Candle Cause Loss of School-House at Hazelton

Two boys who had left some money in the school building at Hazelton, Pa., and were in a hurry to get it, without waiting for the next day’s session, entered the.structure at about eight o’clock in the evening recently, with a lighted candle. This they carelessly dropped into some cotton waste in the basement, which at once burst into flames. The fire being beyond their control, they ran away. In the meantime a young man had discovered the blaze and telephoned an alarm, at about 8.35. The building, which was in the northern part of the city, three stories in height, and occupied a space of 150×190 feet, was 23 years old, . and dry and inflammable. When Chief L. J. Kepping and his department arrived the flames had forced their way through to the third floor, and the building was burning briskly. The apparatus at hand consisted of three steam fire engines, one American-LaFrance and two Silsby. There were six 6-inch double hydrants available, spaced 350 feet apart, with a pressure of 55 pounds, from an 8-inch main. Eleven streams were thrown, of which six were engine streams, about 6,000 feet of hose being laid, with nozzles in use of 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch. Six hundred feet of the hose Burst during the fire. Garnett smoke filters were used by the firemen to good advantage. After 18 hours’ work the fire was finally got under control. The building was valued at $138,000, with loss of $115,000; contents, $14,000, loss, $10,500.

No posts to display