Two Firemen Injured in Detroit Fire
Two firemen were injured at the fire in Detroit that recently caused a heavy loss in the six-story loft building occupied by a number of manufacturers, including the American Radiator Company of Michigan, the Western Druggists Supply Company, the Liberty Knitting Mills and others. The basement was completely involved when Chief T. E. Callahan arrived with the first apparatus and he immediately caused a second alarm to be turned in, calling all companies within a radius of two miles. The building had no sprinkler system nor any other form of adequate private protection and it required energetic work on the part of the fire department to confine the fire to the basement and first floor, which, however, the men succeeded in doing and the damage in the upper floors was caused wholly by smoke. Soon after the men started to work with cellar pipes at the front and rear of the building, hot air gas exploded on the first floor and blew the entire glass front out, scattering glass across the street and blowing the six firemen with their pipes into the gutter. None was injured, however. The men working at the rear of the store had a narrow escape when a retaining wall collapsed. Fortuately, it fell inward so that Assistant Chief E. H. Meginney, who was directing about 20 men. escaped without injury. Joseph V. Johnstone of Ladder No. 3 while attempting to escape from the suffocating smoke on the 5th floor broke a door open, thinking it led to another room, but it opened upon the elevator shaft down which he fell landing on top of the elevator between the first and second floors. He was badly bruised and it was feared that he might have received internal injuries. Norman Bathke, engineer of Engine Company No. 2, was badly cut by falling glass, on the left arm, wrist and hand. The damage to the building was about $10,000 and to the stocks of the occupants, about $65,000.