Within twenty-four hours of each other Asbury Park and Atlantic City, N. J., two favorite seabathing resorts for the people of New York city. New Jersey, and Pennsylvania were damaged by fire to the amount of nearly $225,000. In the former case, the fire broke out in the business portion of West Asbury Park and totally destroyed fourteen buildings, chiefly, if not all frame, occupied as stores and dwellings, and damaged several others. The residents were principally Italians and Hebrews, on whose furniture and personal effects there was no insurance. The blaze started in an unoccupied room over one of the stores, and in its rapid course destroyed (among other buildings) the Second baptist church (colored) the Jewish synagogue, and the Jewish Young Men’s free library. It required the combined efforts of the fire departments of Asbury Hark, Ocean Grove, West Hark, Bradley,Heach, and West Grove to get the flauct under control. The total loss amounted to over $15,000, on which there was an insurance of about $12.000—none of the poorer class of residents having their furniture or personal effects insured. While fighting the flames, former Chief Richard Hunter, of the West Hark fire department, fell through the roof of one of the burning buildings and, besides receiving some bad cuts and severe bruises had his right arm broken.

The fire at Atlantic City broke out at about 5 o’clock a. m. and swept over an area of nearly four acres—that bounded by Tennessee and South Carolina avenues and the great steel promenade. Almost the whole section between the Ferris wheel (which towers out gaunt and intact over the ruins) md Young’s pier was leveled by the flames. The buildings in this case also were nearly all frame tinderboxes, through which the fire spread so rapidly that, fearing it would extend to Pacific avenue and involve the large hotels and cottages. Chief Wiesenthal telegraphed to Camden and Philadelphia for assistance. Chief Elfreth, of the Camden fire department, with two engines and a corps of men, responded to the call, and reached the city by special train in a little ove an hour’s run. their arrival, however, the local firemen were success, stopping the further progress of the flames, and the Camden firemen were not called upon to unload theirapparatus. The Philadelphia contingent was stopped en route. When the firemen reached the scene, probably more than one acre of wooden buildings was ablaze. The flames possibly started in the rear of the Palace Amusement Company’s buildings, whence they spread to the boiler room of the Moore Bros, bathing es tablishmcnt, though it is claimed that it originated in the bathhouses. There is more than a suspicion of incendiarism attaching to the whole business, which will be strictly investigated. All the merry-go-rounds, restaurants, concert halls, ere., have been destroyed, as well as the fire station of the Beach Pirates, out of which the chemical engine had just been hauled to the scene of action: The firemen of that company were driven off by the intense heat of the blaze, and several members of the department were more or less overcome by the smoke and heat. Among these were Engineer Scanlon and Firemen Sooy and Wilson—the last two having been severely scorched about the face. Fireman Leeds was also injured by falling from a roof. Thieves embraced the opportunity afforded them of looting the burning premises, and three colored men alone boasted that they had secured $400 worth of plunder. Many persons who were asleep on the outbreak of the fire barely escaped in their night clothes—being compelled to fly for their lives just as they got out of bed. The losses will run up to$2oo,000, with an insurance of $70000 at most. The water supply was ample and the firemen worked nobly.


  • News, dispatches, and updates from the editorial staff of Fire Engineering. Contact us .

No posts to display