Two North End Boston Fires

Two North End Boston Fires

Only the efficient work of the Boston Fire Department under the direction of Chief P. F. McDonough prevented the protable complete destruction of the fivestory brick building at Beverly and Causeway streets, occupied by Richards & Co., Inc., metal dealers, and the Eastern Metal & Refining Co., on the lower floors, and by the American Glue Co. on the upper floors.

The fire, which started in the rear of the second floor from an unknown cause, had obtained tremendous headway when discovered by a watchman shortly after 8 o’clock in the evening, recently. The first alarm was received at 8:22 p. m. When the apparatus arrived, flames were shooting out of the windows on the alley and Deputy Chief Taber at once ordered a third alarm sounded. Hose lines were operated from ladders and fire escapes. A water tower and hose wagon were placed in position in the rear, the tower gun and deck pipes directing powerful streams into the second and third floors, as the fire threatened for a time to sweep through the building. The water from 16 lines of hose finally drowned out the flames and the principal damage was confined to the lower floors. A high wind and dense clouds of smoke added to the difficulties of the firemen. The building occupied a space 100 ft. by 140 ft. by 75 ft. Six firemen suffered injuries from falling glass. The apparatus in service consisted of eleven steam fire engines, one fire boat, five ladder trucks, two water towers, chemical, rescue squad, and fuel wagons. The department laid 400 feet of 3-inch hose and 6,800 feet of 2 1/2inch cotton rubber-lined hose. The water supply and hydrants were ample and two salt water lines were used from the fire boat. The building was of mill construction with fire doors and a brick partition which aided in checking the spread of the flames. The total damage has been estimated at $43,000, including $8,000 on the building, $25,000 to Richards & Co., and $10,000 to the American Glue Co.

Three alarms were sounded for a fire in the 3-story brick and wood building at 241-249 Friend street, extending through to Canal street. The blaze is believed to have been caused by the careless use of cigarettes in the bowling alleys on the second floor. The first alarm was received at 4 :32 a. m. District Chief Shallow ordered a second alarm and when Chief McDonough arrived bn the scene he sounded a third. Hose lines were taken over ladders and stairways, and through adjoining buildings and the fire fought from the inside. The flames had obtained great headway in the old wooden part of the building and the structure was filled with smoke. Approximately 3,000 feet of 2 1/2-inch cotton rubber-lined and 550 feet of chemical hose were used. A captain was injured by a falling metal ceiling, and seven firemen were overcome by smoke. The fire damage was confined to the two upper floors and roof, the stores on the ground floor suffering a loss from water. The building was occupied on the street floor by the Waldorf Lunch Co., Brown’s shoe store, Albert’s smoke shop, and an automobile tire agency; on the second floor by the Union Bowling and Billiard rooms, and on the upper floor for storage. Damage is estimated at $8,000 on the building and $1,200 on the contents.

No posts to display