Two-Platoon Fire Departments
Eleven fire departments now have the two-platoon system. It was twenty-six years ago last month that Chief J. W. Dickinson, of Cleveland, O., first presented the scheme at the annual convention of the International Association, held at Minneapolis, Minn. Omaha was the first city to place the system in operation, March 23, 1907, nineteen years after it was first suggested. It was adopted by legislative enactment. Kansas City, Mo., was the next to install it, five years later, July 21. 1912, by vote of the city council; followed by Butte, Mont., February 4, 190, by vote of city council; Seattle, Wash., April 1, 1913, try vote of city, 32,473 to 18,498; Great Falls. Mont., May 1, 1913, by vote of city council ; Yoners, N. V., July 5, 1913, on trial by authority of city council; Kansas City, Kan., January 1, 1914, by vote of city, 10,610 to 4,618; Spokane, Wash., January 3, 1914, by vote of city, 7,002 to 5,762 : Pueblo, Cal., January 2, 1914, by vote of city. 2,741 to 2,498; Berkeley, Cal., February 10, 1914, by vote of city council, and Billings, Mont., August 18, 1914. Youngstown, O., has voted to install it January 1, 1915, and the legislature has Ordered Lincoln, Neb., to adopt it. Two cities, New York and Chicago, have given it a short trial, and many cities and several legislatures have defeated bills for its adoption.