Van Wie Pump Company Sold to the East Iron and Machine Company, Lima, Ohio
A business change of some importance took place on September 8, when the Van Wie Pump Company of Syracuse, N. Y., successors to the Baldwinsville Centrifugal Pump Company, established in 1860, sold their business—drawings, patterns, good will, etc., to The East Iron & Machine Company, Lima, Ohio. With this change one of the oldest centrifugal pump manufacturing concerns in North America retires from the field. The business was established at Baldwinsville, N. Y., in 1860 and was first conducted by White, Clark & Co. Later, the name was changed to the Baldwinsville Centrifugal Pump Company. In 1880 the factory was removed to Syracuse, N. Y. and in 1905 it was incorporated as the Van Wie Pump Company. The line manufactured includes vertical and horizontal centrifugal pumps, double suction pumps, sand pumps, hydraulic dredge pumps, single acting triplex pumps and vertical steam engines. It includes pumps suitable for, and adapted to, every industry where pumps are used—contractors, irrigation, mills, factories, dry docks, water works, dredges, etc. The East Iron and Machine Company, at their plant in Lima, will at once begin to manufacture the entire line, as well as make parts and repairs for all Van Wie products. It is also their intention to make improvements on several of the pumps, which will greatly increase their efficiency. Their engineers are now working on this, and it is said the Van Wie line of pumps will be developed to the limit of modern engineering skill.