Volunteers Form Fire Department in Georgia County
A volunteer fire department has been organized in Coweta County, Ga., to provide the protection that was nonexistent in the county except for the City of Newnan. The new department, which became a reality last August, has 130 volunteers, six stations and 14 pieces of apparatus.
The need for the department in Coweta County, southwest of Atlanta, was explained by John White, chairman of the county’s fire commission, who said, “We were having 30 to 40 fires a month and people just had to watch their houses burn down.”
The move to organize a countywide fire department started nearly two years ago when a committee of citizens headed by White worked with the Georgia Fire Institute and Georgia Institute of Technology to make plans for providing fire protection. The county provided some of the money needed and the rest was obtained through contributions, house-to-house canvassing and bake sales. Residents gave their time and labor to build two stations and manufacturing companies donated some steel buildings that were set up with volunteer help for the other stations. Each of the six stations houses at least one pumper and one tanker.
White reported that $80,000 in county revenue sharing and tax funds was more than matched by contributions of both money and labor. Pumpers ranging from 1941 to 1956 models, were bought along with used Coca-Cola delivery trucks that were converted to tankers.
The volunteers carry alerting radios so that they are available night and day, wherever they may be in the county.