Warren City Hall Gutted by Fire

Warren City Hall Gutted by Fire

The city hall, at Warren, O., was recently gutted by fire which started at 7.28 one morning recently. The blaze was discovered by a passerby, and had gained such great hcadway by the time it was discovered that the entire attic was in flames when the department arrived. The building was an old structure, having been built 47 years ago, and hence proved ready fuel for the flames. Chief D. K. Moser handled the fire with great efficiency, and aided by the good work of his men, succeeded in preventing any damage to the neighboring buildings and saved a large part of the building and its contents. The city hall was a 4-story brick building containing wooden and brick partitions and occupied a space of 80 by 100 feet in the center of the city. The fire originated in the attic and resulted from defective electric wiring. It was extinguished in four hours time, the loss on the building amounting to $12,000 and that on the contents, consisting of safes, furniture, etc., to $1,000. The building was valued at $50,000 and its contents at $10,000. Chief Moser had 3,200 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose in service. The largest number of streams thrown at one time was six, two of which were engine streams. The department used nozzles of sizes from 1to 1 1/4-inches. The main in the street by the city hall was 12 inches in diameter. The city has both the standpipe and the direct pumping systems. Four 6-inch double hydrants, situated about 400 feet apart were available for use, and a pressure of from 40 to 80 pounds was obtained from each. Ten men responded to the alarm and had the following apparatus in use: One Robinson motor pumping engine, one Seagrave combination car, one Jackson combination wagon and one service truck. The Robinson pumping engine was used for three hours. Valuable assistance was rendered the local department by the firemen from Niles, O., who made a quick run to the fire upon being summoned.

Warren, O., City Hall When Fire Was Under Control.View of City Hall, Warren, O., When Fire Was at Its Height.

No posts to display