Washington Bridge Over the Harlem River, New York.
We to-day present two views of one of the handsomest and most substantial structures to be found in the whole list of bridge architecture. Washington bridge connects Tenth avenue on the west or New York side of the Harlem river with Aqueduct avenue on the eastern side, a distance of 2375 feet. The bridge has a height of 135 feet and is composed of two steel arches, each having 510 feet span, three piers and two abutments. It has a roadway 80 feet wide, 50 feet of which is the carriage way, and two sidewalks of 15 feet each, which are protected by handsome balustrades of iron and bronze. The main piers are 40 feet thick at the springing line of the steel arches and 98 feet long. It is from designs fuinished by the Union Bridge Company. The work was begun July 20, 1886, under contract with the Passaic Rolling Mill Company, and Miles Tierney, and completed in December, 1888, at a cost of $2,648,784.55.
The granite used was from the quarries of Biddeford, Mt. Waldo, and Vinalhaven, all on the coast of Maine. The cornices, parapet, etc., were from a finer quality of granite from the Mt. Waldo quarries. The light gray gneiss ashlar for the long faces of the piers was from the Mine Hill quarries near Roxbury, Conn.
The cement chiefly used was from the New York & Rosendale Works. It was of excellent quality ; tests for tensile strength of pure cement in twenty-four hours ranging from 80 pounds to the square inch to over 130 pounds, the average of over 2000 tests being 96 pounds tensile strain to the square inch. Nearly 40,000 barrels were used.
Among the sub-contractors were, for foundation of pier 2, Anderson & Barr ; for granite, John Pierce, agent for the Bodwell and the Mt. Waldo granite companies; for the iron cornice and balustrade, bronze lamps, etc., the Jackson Architectural Iron Works, George A. Just, engineer ; for the asphalt roadway, the Barber Asphalt Paving Company. F. V. Greene, vice-president. .__ —