WATER EXTENSION AT PHOENIX.
At Phoenix, Afiz., the water department is extending the system into the northern part of West Capitol addition as far as Twenty-second avenue. The westernmost line is now at Nineteenth avenue. The proposed extension is outside the city limits; but the department was advised by the city attorney that the extension might be made at the expense of the property owners who desire to be served. They may pay for the material and for the expense of putting it in, on the condition that they deed the pipe and all of the work to the city They have agreed to that, and a 3-in. main will be laid. The property owners of the south half of that addition are agitating the matter of an extension to them, and one will probably be made on the same terms as have been accorded to the residents of the north half. Throughout the city th – old pipe will, in many instances, he taken up and 8-in. pipe laid in its place.
The Riverton, Pa., volunteer fire department was organised in Mav. 1000, a few days after a fire had destroyed the largest store in town. Since then the cornnamhas fought two large fires and nearly a hundred smaller ones. The officers of the company are Charles L. Flanagan, president; Charles C. Rainhard vicenresident; Charles A. Wright, treasurer: William J. Thompson, secretary; Louis J. Corner, chief; William Mattis, assistant chief. the department needs rubber coats and boots and a new system of firealarm to take the place of the Bell Telephone company’s arrangement.