FOR two years and a half the water plant of Auburn, N. Y., has been under municipal control. When the city purchased the plant, it obtained five-ninths of the water rights at the upper dam, and in 1895 purchased of the receivers of the Auburn Woolen Company two of the remaining ninths, and on April 11, 1895, the remaining two-ninths—thus making the entire water power at that point available for pumping purposes. The total cost of these four-ninths was $13,000. the original cost of the plant was $425,000; the cost of 12,752 feet of mains, laid in 1895. with hydrants and gates, was $13,643.50, and of 19.300 feet in 1896, $15,166.09—the total being $4(16,809.59. The receipts for 1896 were $64,20(1.78. In 1895 4,734 feet of cement pipe was replaced by heavy cast iron pipe, and in 1896, 4,780, leaving stilt in use 9,250 feet. The water board has laid this season 24 650 feet cast iron pipe, and erected thirty-six new double Mathews hydrants, and has, besides set thirty-nine new Ludlow gates, which adds greatly to the fire protection of the city. The total number of hydrants set is now 374; of gates, fifty-three. There are at present over thirty eight miles of water mains. The capacity of the quadruple pump is 4,ooo.ooo gallons daily and the steam pumps (Gaskill), 7.500,000. The number of gallons delivered by the pumps in 1896 was 1,244,894 758; in 1895.1,178,090,225—increase, 66,804,553; average daily increase of 183,026; increase in 1895, 155,239—average daily Increase over iSqs, 27.787. The average number of gallons pumped daily during 1896 was 3,410,670. Assuming the population of Auburn to be at the time 28,650, which is an estimate based on the same rate of increase made between 1880 and 1890, and the supply per capita for the population is 119 gallons, which is a large consumption. There is no way of determining with certainty the actual number of consumers; but it was probably about 12,700. The use of water by meter measurement embraces large consumers using it largely for manufacturing purposes, and it is difficult to determine what portion of the water thus furnished is used for other purposes—though it is known to be so used. The city schools, hospital, orphan asylums, hotels, breweries, saloons,railroads,livery stables, and the different manufactories and the male and female prisons receive their water supply through meters. The quadruple pumps at the lower house must soon be replaced by pumps of large capacity. The source of supply is Owasco lake, whose area is about eleven square miles; watershed about 190 square miles. The city will have to take measures to guard against the annually increasing danger of pollution of the watershed—especially on the banks of the lake, where are two hotels and numerous summer cottages. The supply pipes are being greatly affected by electrolysis—the result of the electric current from the Auburn City Railway system. The report concludes as follows :


The water board, believing that politics should have no place in the management of the department, has followed that course and will continue to do so, be’ieving that the interests of the city require it, and that our citizens approve of it, and expect that the buiness will be conducted on business principles.

The following are the officials of the Auburn water department; Commissioners, C. Wheeler, jr., president; William F. Wait, S. J. Westfall; superintendent, J. Lewis Grant; cierk,William Anderson; chief engineer, John Ackerman.

An illustration of the lower pumping station accompanies this notice.

No posts to display