WATER STATISTICS OF ST. LOUIS.
ST. LOUIS need not stand in awe of an epidemic of typhoid fever or any other water-borne disease as a result of the building of the Chicago drainage canal, if, at least, a bacteriological examination of its water is any criterion of its wholesomeness. This shows that the effect of the opening of the Chicago canal has not appreciably worsened the supply, and this fact will probably have some considerable influence on the side of the promoters of that enterprise when the question comes before the courts. That, however, affords no valid reason why the river water should not be filtered before being supplied to the citizens, each one of whom between April 1, 1899, and April 1, 1900, consumed over sixty gallons of it every day—60.S to be strictly accurate. Judging from the table of the average daily consumption per capita since 1871, that consumption is increasing every year. In 1871 it averaged 12.9; 1872, 14.5; 1873, 16.4, and so on more or less rapidly year by year till it reached the figure of 1899. The average daily consumption of the city was 60,585,000 gallons, and the total consumption for the year was 22,113,679,000 gallons. The average ⅜ for the year of the daily pumpage at Chain of Rocks (low-service) was 02.3; maximum daily pumping 90,000,000; minimum daily pumping, 13,340,000. With such an average daily consumption, and considering the source of the supply, filtration would seem to be a necessity, and a paying necessity at that. Two separate ordinances providing for experiments in that line have been prepared by the water department and forwarded to the municipal assembly by the board of public improvements. The first provided for an appropriation of $75,000; the second, for one of $40,000. Each, however, failed to pass the municipal assembly. How necessary filtration must be and what is the quality of the water the people of St. Louis have to drink will be seen from the accompanying illustration of the amount of sediment collected in one of the basins at Chain of Rocks. The total amount deposited in the six basins during the year 1899, 1900 was 317,000 cubic yards, of which 240,000 cubic yards was removed by manual labor—as in the illustration—at a cost of $3,715.90, or .0149 cents the cubic yard. The amount of water pumped by the lowservice engines during the year was 227,734,160,000 United States gallons; the total number of hours pumped was 19,690-20; of revolutions, 14,759,400; bushels of coal a minute, 14.4. The high serv ice engines at Bissel’s Point pumped for 16,6S6-50 hours, making 11,501,000 evolutions, pumping 11,752,651,200 United States gallons, and using 73.6 bushels of coal the million gallons. At the high service station, Baden, 21,865-S5 hours were occupied in pumpiug; 19,576,360 revolutions were made; 10,361,610,000 United States gallons were pumped; and 35.2 bushels of coal were used the million gallons. The total gross expenditures during the year for operating and maintaining were $1,143,622.30. During the year there was laid pipe from twelve to three-inch, 17,989 feet—making in all 39.58 miles. In St. Louis about 4,200 meters have been placed, with more to follow.
An inspection of the shell of standpipe No. 1 (illustrated herewith) was made in August, 1899. This pipe had been in service about thirty years. The plates were found considerably pitted, but not sufficiently weakened to require patching. A large number of rivet heads were found to be badly corroded. The shell was scraped and cleaned on the inside, and painted with four coats of red lead from the top down to a point about ninety feet below, this portion being most affected by the pitting action. The next thirty feet was given three coats; the next twenty-three feet was given two coats; and the last twelve feet of the wrought iron shell was given one coat. About 1,400 defective rivets were punched out and replaced by new rivets. The standpipe may now be considered in good serviceable condition. It was put in operation again in March, 1900.
The superstructure of standpipe No. 3, at Compton Hill reservoir (illustrated herewith) was about half done at the beginning of the year. The main shell, or six-foot uptake pipe, was already completed, and the stone base and part of the brick shaft of the tower were erected. In April, 1899, a hydraulic test of the standpipe proper was made. In August the water was turned on and the standpipewas put in regular service. The superstructure of the tower was completed by November 30, 1899, and cost altogether about $48,000.