Water Supply of Fredericton.
The city of Fredericton, N. B., is situated on the river St. John. It has a population of about 7,250 at the present time. In 1882 the construction of a waterworks system was begun from plans of Crafts & Forbes, of Boston. The con tract for pumping machinery was given to the Holly Manufacturing company, of Lockport, N. Y., and for pipe to D. G. Stewart & Co., of Glasgow, Scotland. The gates and hydrants were furnished by the Coffin Valve company, of Bos ton. The supply is taken front the St. John river. A crib is constructed 500 ft. from the shore and water is brought through a 20-in. wrought iron conduit to a pump-well on the bank of the river, from which it is pumped into the distribution system. The pumping capacity of the Holly engine was 1,500,000 a day; but another engine constructed by the Nortncy Manufacturing company, of Toronto, has since been added, which brings the daily capacity up to double that amount. There is a substantial pumping station equiped with boilers furnished by the Holly ompany, which firm also supplied the suction pipe. The number of gallons pumped last year was 252,410,000— an average of 674,545 gal. daily. There are over 14 miles of cast iron pipe laid; 181 gates and 123 hydrants arc set. There are over 8 miles of wrought and lead services, of which sixty-five are metered. Lead services are being substituted for iron where possible. The works, which are in good condition, belong to the city.