Water Works and Supply Men.
The noted Superintendent of Montreal Water Works, was born in Montreal, January 24th, 1839, and was graduated in that city from old McGill College. He was then placed in apprenticeship as mechanical engineer in the United States Navy Yard at Brooklyn. After 5 1/2 years, went as first engineer with the man of war Tallapoosa. After seven months’ cruise he became connected with railways as mechanical engineer, and was with the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada occupying various positions in the mechanical departments. In 1877 he was appointed superintendent of the Quebec Government railroad. Ja 1880 he was appointed by the Dominion Government of Canada a commissioner and mechanical expert to the Vienna World’s Exposition of Austria, to make report to the government on the various improvements on machinery and railway appliances generally.
In 1877 he was appointed superintendent of machinery for the Quebec government railways, and three years later was appointed manager of the North Shore Railway. In 1886 he went to Mexico: after completing a short contract for two iron bridges on the Mexican International Railway at Terras, he left for a tour around the world, commencing at San Francisco to Japan and so on.
In 1887 he was appointed by the Russian government a mechanical expert and engineer. He settled the celebrated claim of the Lisbon water works and the John Cockerel’s Works of Serang, Belgium, in connection with machinery and pu nps for the Cronstadt government dry docks of Russia. He was sent by the Russia* government nearly all over the world to make reports on various questions of water works and m ichinery, and also settled claims for that government.
In 1876 he was favored with the appointment of Honorary Vice-Tresident of New York Cooper’s Institute, and the Philadelphia Polytechnic, and the Smithsonian Institute of Washi i^ton. for life. He is also a life member of the American Scientific Engineer’s Society of New York, which is now connected with the Ecole Centrale of Paris. He was appointed on August 1, 1892, superintendent of the Montreal water works.
The superintendent of the Binghamton, N. Y., water works is now on his twentieth year, having taken charge April 15, 1875. The works were built in 1867, using the Holly system. The pumping was done by the Holly rotary pumps, run by a Holly engine and one boiler five by sixteen feet and were pumping 500,000 gallons each twenty-four hours. To-day they are pumping an average of 5.000.000 gallons daily. There have been three new pumping engines put in, one of two, one of six and one of twelve million gallons each twentyfour hours. Now they have four boilers, two five by sixteen feet and two six by seventeen feet. The last two were put in during the present year. Water was taken on the start from two excavated wells, thirty feet in diameter and twenty feet tDep. During 1883, another well, twenty feet deep, ten fe t in diameter and one hundred and seventy-five feet long was put down. During 1886, the water supply becoming short in the wells, there was an inlet crib built in the Susquehanna river with a thirty-inch inlet pipe leading into the long well. There is but a small part of the original plant left, the pumping station buildings having teen remodeled, so one would hardly recognize the original. In 1884. a lot was bought near the center of the city, 132 feet front by 154 feet deep, and a work shop was erected thereon. In 1891, a two story office building was built and in 1893 a two-story pipe shed was added, so at present they have as complete a plant as one will find in a city of its size, 40,000 population. There are two lines of flexible joint pipe crossing the Chenango river, one twelve and one twenty inch, and one twelve inch across the Susquehanna river. 1 he first pipe across the Chenango was laid by contract, the other two lines under Mr. Feller’s direction. When he took charge twentyone miles 01 from four to twelve inch cement lined distributing mains were in use, which have all been replaced by cast iron of larger size. He has extended the mains thirty-one miles and has at present in use fifty-two miles of mains from two to thirty inches in size.
K. J. ROBINSON.
E. J. Robinson, superintendent of the Sharon Water Works Company, Mercer County, Pa,, is an Englishman by birth, 29 years old. Mr. Robinson has been connected with the company from its inception in 1885, serving in the capacity of assistant to the Engineer during the construction of the works in that year, and in 1S86 was given charge of the plant. Sharon, Pa., has a population of about 10,000. and has a reservoir system with 140 pounds pressure.
R. D. WIRT.
Supt. Wirt, of the Independence, Mo., Water Works, has a natural reputation as a skillful hydraulic expert. He has had charge of these works eleven years, and has also for thirteen vears had charge of the Independence Gas and Coke Co. Mr. Wirt is also president of the Wirt & Knox Manufacturing Co., a very successful concern.
C. G. HILDRETH.
C. G. Hildreth has been identified with the Holly Manu” facturing Company as a director since 1874, and as its secretary since 1877. He was born in Lockport, New York, of New England parents. His father, George W. Iiildieth, established oneof the first machine shops and foundries in Wisteria New York, which he operated for more than fifty years, and which is still continued under his name.
H. H. KINSEY.
The subject of this sketch is a bright young salesman who has been with the Rensselaer Mfg. Co., of Tioy, for two years, travelling principally through New England and the Eastern Middle States. Prior to this time Mr. Kinsey was engaged in lines representing the coal and iron interests.
Mr. John Thomson was born in Morayshire, in the North of Scotland, about forty years ago. He is an American citizen, and in politics a Mugwump. He received a common school education and confesses that he has not yet graduated. When a youth he was apprenticed to the watch making trade, and there is no question that he became master of the art. He has been associated for over fifteen years with the Colt’s Arm Company, of Hartford, in the manufacture of printing and embossing presses, such as are used for fine color and book printing. All of these machints were designed by him aid ontain many new mechanical movements. The disk-action meter was first invented and introduced by him in this country, lie has taken nearly, if not quite too patents, for a wide range of devices, such as escapements, movements, presses, clutches, meters, processes, etc. He has also had some experience as an expert in the litigation of patent cases and in admiralty, and has had considerable practice as an attorney before the U. S. Patent Office. When the first electrical subway commission was appointed for New York City, he was made its chief engineer and personally examined and reported upon the many schemes submitted, and had responsible charge of the first installation made under the direction of the commission.
He is a member and a trusteeof the Engineers’ Club; a member of the New York St. Andrews Society; a Fellow of the American Geographical Society; a member of the New England Water Works Society; a member, and also a director, of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and a member and also a director, of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
New Water Works of Butte, Montana.
The Butte City Water Company in the past two years has entirely remodeled and rebuilt the water works system of Butte, Montana, has laid about sixty (60) miles of mains through the town and immediate vicinity and built two pumping stations, from which the water is lifted to the highest
paint in the vicinity of Butte. The works are still in the process of construction and contracts have been let to the Henry R. Worthington Company of New York for one triple expansion engine of the capacity of three million gallons daily, and one triple expansion high duty engine of one and one half million gallons daily capacity.
The basin dam is located about thirteen miles due south from the city on Basin Creek at its junction with Bear Cieek. The dam is being built to form an impounding reservoir, which will contain one billion gallons of water, and was designed by Chester 11. Davis, M. Am. Soc. C. E. The dam is to be J2o feet from bed rock to the top of the dam, 10 feel wide on top and 85 feet wide at the base. The up-stream face is laid on a radius of 350 feet. The dam is constructed of rubble masonry, faced with hammer-dressed stone, the s’one being quarried in the immediate vicinity of the dam and carried on and set by a cable tramway of th? Lidgerwood patent. Stone, varying in size from one-half to one and one-half cubic yards, are set close together, the interstices being carefully filled with spawls and cement. The cement used is American Portland, manufactured by the Western Portland Cement Co. of Yankton, South Dakota. The dam when completed will have 100 feet depth of available water above the intake pipe and will supply over two-thirds of the City of Butte and vicinity by gravity. Construction is now going on under the supervision of Eugene Carroll, Chief Engineer.
The photograph shows the dam at the height of 56 let t above bed rock.