West Virginia Hotel Consumed

West Virginia Hotel Consumed

Gas explosion started a fire in the Stratford Springs Hotel, Woodale, W. Va., which burned out the $150,000 hostelry and gave the fire department a hard three-hour battle on January 13. The three-story hotel is located in the northern part of town on a bluff about 200 feet from the street. Its 60-foot elevation made the fight a hard one for Chief Freese and his department in getting streams and apparatus over the icecovered ground in below zero weather. The alarm was sent in at 11.30 p. m., and the fire, which started in the laundry, had advanced considerably when the department arrived. About twenty firemen and two chemical hose trucks and two motor triple combination American-La France pumpers were in service. The two latter pieces of motor apparatus worked fine—one pumping steadily for seven hours, the other for eight hours. Besides these two engine streams, two hydrant streams were connected with 4inch double hydrants placed 300 feet apart. A 4-inch street main furnished direct pumping pressure of about 40 pounds; 2,500 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose, l 1/2-inch nozzles, were laid.

No posts to display