(THE JOURNAL does not hold itself responsible for the ideas, opinions or prejudices expressed by its correspondents. Our policy is to give everyone fair play, and our desire is to place on record the experience of practical firemen in the management of fires, fire apparatus and all that pertains to the fire service. To this end. we permit the greatest atitude of expression to correspondents, simply requiring them to avoid personalities, and expecting them to state facts.]


BOSTON, MASS., November 18.—The Board of Aldermen and Common Council, after consultation with the fire commisioners, have voted to increase the salary of the ten district engineers from $1600 to $2000 per annum. This is a step in the right direction and one I trust that will be followed up until the rank and file will be brought up to the standard of other departments of our size throughout the country. I think that nearly everybody now agrees with my oft-expressed opinion on this subject ; namely, that the officers and members of our department should no longer remained underpaid. The matter of establishing these salaries rests with the Board of Fire Commissioners, and we believe that the time has arrived for them to take action. The citizens and taxpayers through their representatives have signified their willingness on different occasions to furnish any Bum sufficient to carry out this matter, and therefore there seems to be no reasonable excuse for the board in not taking early action.

As the salaries stand to-day, the driver of a company in the outskirts holds a more lucrative position than a captain in the city proper, for this reason ; he saves about $150 per annum in rent alone, to say nothing of the wear and tear of clothing. Our chief engineer is not paid in proportion to those of’Ncw York, Brooklyn and Chicago, yet he is held responsible for the workings of the second fire department in size and the extinguishment of fires in the most inflammable city in this country. There is a rumor going the rounds to the effect that the commissioners will report adversely on this matter, but I hope for the best interests of the department, that the report will prove to be premature. Nothing could be more demoralizing than such action taken by the board at the present time, from the fact that the rank and file had looked forward for brighter days in the future than has been their lot in the gloomy and quite recent past. Both officers and members, who have formed quite an exalted opinion of both Commissioners Fitch and Murphy, are loth to believe that they would be parties to any such non-progressive action. I join with them in their faith in both these gentlemen, believing as I do that they have a grave sense of the responsibilities of their positions, and that it is not the intention of either of them ihat any act of theirs should be the means of demoralizing any portion of the department entrusted to their care.

Fire Marshal Charles W. Whitcomb has entered upon his duties, with headquarters at No. 5 Pemberton square. He will be assisted by a clerk and stenographer; the latter in many cases will represent the marshal at fires. It Is predicted that the fire bugs will have a hard time of it in the future.

A petition representing several millions of dollars has been presented, asking that Engine Company No. 14 be made a permanent organization. This company covers considerable ground, and has a great amount of property under its protection. The need of a full permanent company in this station has been a long-felt want, and no doubt the wish of the citizens and taxpayers will in the near future be gratified.

The members of the Firemen’s Mutual Relief Association have been notified that an assessment of $2 is now due from them on account of the death of Hoseman George E. Tyler of Engine Company No. 32. Mr. Tyler received fatal injuries by falling from a ladder while at work painting. This is assessment No. 83 since the association was formed, some fourteen years ago. The amount of the last benefit reached $1450.

Albert T. Holmes, a valued hoseman of Engine Company No. 26, was struck down with a paralytic shock recently, from which he has not yet recovered. Albert has the sympathy of his associates and friends.

Engine Company No. 22 are very much pleased over their new clock, which was made by memburs of the company, and is certainly the finest piece of workmanship of the kind in any station of the department.

That portion of our city known as Ashmount is now begging for fire protection, and wants the fife commissioners to place an engine company In service there.

Many are of the opinion that Hook and Ladder Company No. 5 would be more efficient If it were made a permanent company, and the board will have to consider this matter with others that will come before it.

The quatters for Engine Company No. 33 and Hook and Ladder Company No. 15 are very nearly completed, but will not be occupied before May t.

Where, oh where,,is our old friend “ Shomer V Why should he neglect THE JOURNAL to such an extent ? Brace up, brother 1 Brace up 1



PORTLAND, ME., NOV. 17.—Manchester, N. H., has voted to make its chief of department a permanent officer, to be appointed for a term of three years, at a yearly salary of $1200. He is to have full charge of the department, its stations and fire alarm telegraph. The pay of all the firemen is to be increased $25 per annum, and “tickers” are to be placed in their several residences.

The Chemical Engine Company of Manchester, N. H., has secured Smyth’s Hall for the assembly which is to be given for the purpose of obtaining funds to furnish and embellish the headquarters of the company at the Vine street station. The assembly will be given on Thanksgiving day evening. This company has been presented with an interesting relic of the old fire department of Manchester, in the shape of the silk banner carried by old Torrent Hand Engine Company as far back as 1848. It was the property of Assistant Engineer James F. Pherson.

For opulence of gall the village of Woodford, in the town of Deering, Me., takes the honors. This village early one morning last week was visited by an extensive fire. As usual, Portland was called upon for aid and quickly responded, doing excellent duty. Now this village has a hand engine named “ Niagara,” which was recently put in working order, and 1500 feet of new hose purchased ; yet on this occasion not the least effort was made by the village folks to take it to the scene of duty, and while the Portland Department was putting the fire out, Woodford’s people were either slumbering in their warm beds or apparently disinterested spectators, not lifting a hand to help themselves. When a citizen was asked the reason for not taking out the engine, he replied in a most indifferent manner, “ Oh, the Portland engines will take care of it.”

This was the sixth time Portland had been over there within a year. On one occasion their horses became disabled because of the long and hard run, yet, when the fire was out, not a horse could be obtained for love or money to hau] the engines home, although there were many available, and the old team had to be forced to do so, to the ruination of one horse. On another occasion, when the Portland engines were at work, the horses were sheltered in a private stable, the owner of which subsequently sent in a bill to Portland for the hay the horses had eaten. What is still more amazing is the fact that the Portland Department continues to go over there, as no city has suffered more from fire than their own.

Chief Cloyes has one of the best departments in New England, and it is surprising that he allows it to be used by his unappreciative neighbors, at the same time leaving unprotected a large section of his own city. The severe but just measures adopted by Chief Hendrick of New Haven, Conn., when recently called by his dead-head neighbors, in refusing to go unless a fair remuneration was guaranteed, are just the methods for Chief Cloyes and all others similarly situated, to adopt. They should put the screws on and not give way an inch. BOHEMIAN.


DIXON, November 16.—A fire on Main street recently gave the fire department a chance to try the new Preston cut-off with which they have lately been furnished. It works like a charm.

The efficiency of the Rockford (Ill.) Fire Department at the recent destructive fire in that city was pleasantly appreciated last week by the representatives of seventy-four insurance companies, who voted a donation of carpets and elegant furniture to fit up a reading-room and also the central station.

The board of supervisors . rejected the ‘petition of the water-works company for a reduction of taxes on their plant here.

W. H. Woodyatt, an old member of the hose company, was chosen sheriff of Lee county at the last election by the largest majority of any one on the ticket.

R. S. Farrand, another old member and ex-fire marshal, was elected county judge. NIBSEY.


MARLBORO, November 15.—We have had but two fires of late. The first consumed a dwelling-house outside of the water limit. The loss was $1200 ; insured for $650. The second burned a barn and some hay, the loss reaching $600 ; insured for $300.

The relief association of the Marlboro Fire. Department is at last an assured fact. Hose Companies Nos. 1 and 2 with the board of engineers assembled at the parlors of Hose Company No. 1 on Monday, November 8 and started in to make the thing a success. Chief Rock was elected president, but declined to serve; and John T. Fay, the popular young foreman of Hose Company No. 1, was elected to fill that position. Vice president, Frank S. Rock, assistant foreman of Hose Company No. 2 ; secretary, P. Dalton of Hose Company No. 1 ; treasurer, John Byrne of Hose Company No. 2. Trustees, George Brigham, engineer ; Frank Johnson, Truck Company No. 1 ; P. Genery, Hose Company No. t ; Frank Leary and W. F. Hanlan of Hose Company No. 2. The association starts with a membership of over fifty and $150 in the treasury, and I am sure one year from its organization will number all true firemen in the department. Hose Companies Nos. 3 and 4, who were very anxious to enter when the matter was agitated last spring, have pulled out, Company No. 3, the company which first talked the matter up, being the first to pull out.

Hose Company No. 2 will attend in a body the dance of Cataract Hose Company No. 2 of Clinton, on Thanksgiving eve, November 24.

The annual dance of Hose Company No. 2 will take place in the Town Hall on Thanksgiving night, November 25.

About eighteen members of the department attended the dance of the Hyde Park Fire Department November 3, and were so royally received they hated to leave by way of the Hyde Park station ; fearing to hurt the feelings of their hosts, they drove to.Dedham, there taking a train for home on the same night. FAIRMOUNT.


CHARLESTON, November 16.—Since my last there has been somewhat of a controversy in the department as to who played first water on the earthquake fires. The honor is claimed by several companies, and I have taken some trouble to get the question solved. As THE JOURNAL is taken by a number of members of different companies, I trust they will correct me in case they can shed more light on the subject.

It is rumored that an officer, whose company has never been known to be exceptionally efficient, remarked that he intended to see that all this talk among the men about playing first water should be stopped by the commissioners. If this is true, I trust that he will be given to understand that it is an officer’s duty to encourage the men in their ambition to go to work quickly, and not to discourage them. So this need not prevent the men from giving me all information on the subject of first water.

The men of Engine Company No. 7 are said to have put out the first fire, which occurred opposite their house, without using their engine. In an earthquake publication it is claimed that Company No. 6 put first water on the fire in upper King street. This is a mistake, for, although Company No. 6 was there first, Company No. 4 put on first water.

The engine that played first water on any fire, it seems to be conceded, was Company No. 1, which nearly put out the fire in Legare street alone, and this fire is acknowledged to be the first fire that an engine played upon.

We have had several small chimney fires lately, but our department is too quick to let such fires do any damage.

You will also see by the following clipping that even in the time of their own distress the spirit of benevolence is strong in our firemen :

•‘Captain Dawson has received from L. Behrens, foreman of Engine Company No. T, $15 for Engine Company No. x, for the relief of the Sabine Pass sufferers. Mr. Behrens says : ‘ As circumstances permitted us to be the first engine on hand to supply water to rescue dear old Charleston from the angry flames that threatened her destruction on the fateful night of the 31st of August, we are now on hand to supply the water sufferers of the Southwest with this small contribution.’

“ Captain Dawson has received from Sympathy ’ $1 for the Texas sufferers.” — J.


AUBURN, November 16.—“ Jeff ” Merrigan of Seneca Falls was in town yesterday.

Tom Carmody of Buffalo is spending a few days in the “ loveliest.”

Logan’s Merry 12 are in great demand just at present.

Chief Jewhurst and ex-Chief Frank Plumb of Cortland have formed a partnership, and will start a job printing estsblishment on State street. They will make a specialty of firemen’s badges and cards, and the boys may keep watch for new designs. The gentlemen are so well and favorably known throughout the State that success is sure to attend their venture.

An alarm was sent in from box No. 32 November 6 calling the boys to one of Shimer’s buildings on State street. Their services were not required, as there was no fire, the alarm being caused by escaping steam.

Early Thursday morning the deep tones of the “ Wheeler ” summoned the firemen tothe Young Men’s Christian Association building, where flames had been discovered in the coal chute. It was speedily extinguished with but trifling damage.

Alter changing the date several times for the arrival of the Seneca Falls tiuck, Wednesday, November 10, was finally set as the date of its reception ; but so thoroughly disgusted had the Logans become, on account of the shameful manner in which they had been treated regarding the Hayes truck, that they were, to use the words of a contemporary, “ conspicuous by their absence,” not a member of the company being at the depot. Commissioner Battams and a few intimate friends quickly unloaded it, and it was drawn to the truck-house on Market street. Before this letter reaches you the truck will be commissioned and in service.

I do not mean to reflect either on the firm of Gleason & Baily.or on this truck—for it is a magnificent looking piece of apparatus—in questioning the wisdom of this proceeding ; but does it look like a square deal that the Hayes should stand for two years in the house of the Logans, bought and paid for, the commissioners meanwhile utterly refusing to put it in commisson or even give it a fair trial; and that they should order another truck from Seneca Falls, and before it has been in the city a week put it in service without a trial? It savors strongly to me of something crooked somewhere.

Now, if the gentlemen wish to appear before the public as honest in their intentions, let them give the two trucks a trial, the same as they gave the old truck_and the Hayes, if they will. Let there be a trial of speed between the two, and see if they have secured the superior lightness and draft in the Seneca Falls truck which they claim. Let there be a test in covering a building with the ladders from the respective trucks, in fact a thorough, practical trial that will be satisfactory to all concerned. Really either they must give such a trial or stand convicted before the citizens of Auburn of the most disgraceful attempt at bulldozing which ever came to the knowledge of NIGHT HAWK.


INDIANAPOLIS, November 17.—It has been some time since I have written you, and for fear you may think we boosters are ail dead, I will try and redeem my past negligence by giving you a few lines. We are now in the midst of a political wrangle/but that does not seem to satisfy everybody, and a fire pops up serenely every now and then. During the past few weeks the firemen have had considerable work, and they have treated it in great style.

They have at the same time had some unusual experience, in the way of removing dead people, as during that time three persons have perished in the flames, or rather from suffocation, for the bodies when found were hardly burned. A child, apparently six or seven years of age, was found dead after the fire in the German Orphans’ Asylum, and the other two were colored men who had been out on a lark, and returning somewhat under the influence of liquor, accidentally dropped a match in the hay loft adjoining their sleeping apartment’ and retired without giving It any attention, an oversight which cost them their lives. The boys say they prefer being excused from finding dead bodies; they are by no means stuck on that kind of fire duty.

The election of chief fire engineer occurred last night, and 1 am happy to say that Chief Webster was re-elected for another term of two years. Webster has a host of friends who can and will assist him at any and all times, as shown in his receiving a unanimous vote of the two political parties. It is safe in predicting that for the next two years our fire losses will not be increased through any fault of the chief fire engineer.

Several important changes have been made in the way of apparatus during the past year. As fast as possible the old one-horse hose carls have been replaced by two-horse hose wagons. The change is no doubt a good one, as the department can make better time going to, and alter reaching the fire. The hard and slow work of starting a heavy spool is abolished, and in various other ways the improvement is shown. Every company in the department will receive one of the wagons as soon as they can be made, as contracts have been closed for all but one, and that one will be served in a very short time. The wagons are all building in this city, and the various salesmen of apparatus who have seen them state that they could not be improved upon ; thus we take it for granted that they are as good as the best. They work like a charm anyway.

One of the latest productions of Indianapolis talent is embodied in a new hook and ladder truck, known as the Covert patent. It consists of a strong and well proportioned wagon, carrying a wooden ladder and extension. The first splice is about fifty feet in length, and the second very nearly the same. The manner of raising it is something after the device used by the Hayes truck, but it in no way conflicts with that patent. A trial was given last week and the ladder was placed and men put on the building in just two minutes and a half from the time the word was given. The time consumed in raising the ladders was reported by those who held their watches as fifty seconds. The company wishes to introduce the truck in this State but is making haste slowly. The business manager, H. S. Bigham, will not permit one of them to leave the city until it is just as he desires it, and the idea is carried out in the belief that such apparatus should be perfect beyond a doubt before placing them in service. The greatest claim made for this truck is the stand-pipe, which is fastened in the centre of the ladders, as by its presence the task of lugging hose to the tops of buildings is overcome, the stand-pipe taking that part of the work, and requiring no attention whatever.

At present we are having some trouble with our hose. For the past two years Chief Webster has had very little trouble with it, but the threeyear guarantee of the rubber hose has failed to help the matter any. Thank heaven, the rubber hose of this department is soon to be forgotten. Two years ago cotton hose was 6rst given a show in this city, and the trial consisted of a small order. The experience of the first three months convinced the chief and his men that it was what they had been looking for, and the opinion was hacked up by an order for another lot, this time, 3000 feel. The purchase has never been regretted, as not a section has burst since its introduction, and I feel safe in saying that about the only kind of cotton hose that will come to this city for practical purposes can be spelled with half a dozen letters. In other words, this city has found just as good hose as they desire in the Eureka brand, and the annual fire losses do not show any bad management or judgment. The Eureka has made a good reputation for itself in Indianapolis, and all by the excellent quality of the goods sent here.

From what I can learn, there is some talk of cutting down the working force of the department, but just how it is to be done I cannot say. It is thought that two steamers will be taken out and six men relieved, but that is hardly probable, as the department will not permit of it. It is to be hoped the Idea will be given up. INDIANA.


BOSTON, November 17.—The first parade of the Boston Fire Department took place on Friday, September 19, 1836, in connection with the procession of military and civic societies, which participated in the ceremonies connected with the unveiling of the Franklin monument, in front of the City Hall, in School street.

The long reign of Chief William Barnlcoat was characterized by plainness and simplicity. A parade, or indeed any demonstration not actually necessary to the department’s business of extinguishing fires, was by him considered almost a crime, and forbidden as far as his power went. A gaily painted engine was to him an object of contempt ; all the engines of his day were black, with a plain gold stripe around the name on the sides.

In 1854 he was retired from service. Elisha Smith, Jr., a very different man from his predecessor, became chief, and instituted many changes. He was a popular chief and died in office shortly after this parade.

The fire department at this time consisted of twelve Hunneman hand engines, and three hook and ladder and fire hose (then called hydrant) companies. The board of engineers consisted of Elisha Smith, Jr., chief; F. W. Colburn, clerk ; C. S. Clark, George W. Bird (both afterwards chiefs), N. W. Pratt, B. T. Mills, James Quinn, Joseph Dunbar—now commanding the first (East Boston) fire district—and David Chamberlin (recently fire commissioner).

The department formed on the Tremont street mall corner of Boylston street, where it was reviewed at 8.30 A.M., by the city council, after which it paraded through Tremont, Pleasant, Washington, Bedford and West streets, to its place in the long procession.

The line was made up as follows, the engine companies coming first, followed by the truck and hydrant, companies : Mazeppa Company No. 1, Broadway, South Boston.—W. H. Cunningham, foreman, 58 men ; wearing black pants, red shirts, with blue front and trimmings, and black caps.

Perkins Company No. 2, South Boston.—Daniel Weston, Jr., foreman,

47 men ; blue shirts, with red and white shield in front; black caps.

Eagle Company No. 3, Washington street near Dover.—Edward L.

Milliken, foreman, 34 men ; red shirts ; black caps.

Cataract Company No. 4, corner Charles and Mount Vernon streets.— John S. Damrell, foreman, 46 men ; drab pants, with glazed leather bof toms ; red shirts and red fire caps. (This was acknowledged to be the best uniformed company in line.)

Extinguisher Company No. 5, East street.—William Rumney, foreman,

48 men ; blue shirts and blue cloth caps.

Mellville Company No. 6, Wall street.—Benjamin H. Bayley, foreman, 38 men ; red shirts ; black caps.

Tiger Company No. 7, Purchase street.—C. C. Henry, foreman ; red shirts of handsome design, and red fire caps.

Boston Company No. 8, Commercial street.—C. P. Shattuck, foreman, 60 men ; red shirts ; blue cloth caps.

Maverick Company No. 9, Paris street, East Boston.—John P. Somerby, foreman, 49 men ; black pants, with patent leather buttons ; red and blue shirts; blue caps.

Dunbar Company No. 10, Meriden street, East Boston.—Joseph Baker, foreman, 41 men ; blue shirts; black caps with red bands.

Barnicoat Company No. 11, City Hall, Court square.—Harry A. Hunting, foreman, 48 men ; red shirts ; fire caps.

Tremont Company No. 12, Warren street.—Oliver Roberts, foreman, 43 men ; red shirts, trimmed with blue ; white fire caps.

Washington Hydrant Company No. x, Salem street.—C. E. Dutton, foreman, 22 men ; red shirts ; scarlet cloth caps.

Union Hydrant Company No. 2, Hudson street.—Moses C. Thompson, foreman ; red shirts ; blue caps.

Franklin Hydrant Company No. 3, Wall street.—Jerome Nevans, foreman, 32 men ; red and blue shirts ; blue caps.

Suffolk Hydrant Company No. 5, Shawmut avenue.—W. H. Ford, foreman, 19 men ; blue shirts ; scarlet caps.

Deluge Hydrant Company No. 6, Paris street, East Boston.—Joseph Barnes, foreman, 21 men ; red shirts, with blue fronts ; black caps.

Warren Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, Friend street.—J. S. Stevens, foreman, 36 men ; red shirts ; tarpaulin hats, with white bands.

Washington Hook and Ladder Company No. 2, Paris street, East Boston.—Charles Simmond, foreman ; blue shirts ; black caps.

Franklin Hook and Ladder Company No. 3, Harrison avenue.— Orlando F. Marston, foreman.

After the parade the procession moved to the frog pond, on the Common, where a contest of the machines took place, beginning at three o’clock and lasting until nine o’clock in the evening. Torches and signal lanterns furnished light after nightfall.

There were two prizes offered—the first, a silver trumpet, for the company which could fill a 2000-gallon tank the quickest, through 300 feet of hose and a 1 i-i6-inch nozzle ; and the second, a silver trumpet, for the best horizontal play through 250 feet of hose and a #-inch nozzle on such a pipe as Chief Smith might select.

The results were as follows, first filling tank: Company No. 3, 11 minutes a«d 2 seconds ; No. 5, xi minutes and 4% seconds ; No. 10, 11 minutes and 5 seconds; No. 7, 11 minutes and 6 seconds; No. 11, 11 minutes and 15 seconds; No. 1, 11 minutes and 26 seconds; No. 9, xi minutes and 42 seconds ; No. 8, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ; No. 12, 11 minutes and 49 seconds ; No. 4, 11 minutes and 50 seconds ; No. 2, 11 minutes and 54 seconds ; No. 6, 11 minutes and 55 seconds.

Eagle No. 3 was awarded the prize, “although several objected, because she was a six-inch cylinder, while all others, except No. 5, were but 5^-inch. No. 5 was second on the list.

The second trial resulted as follows : No. 5, 1S0 feet ; No. 7, 170 feet ; No. 3, *70 feet; No. 4, 163 feet; No. 10, 155 feet; No. 1, 153 feet ; No. 2, 153 feet; No. 8, 150 feet; No. 9, 148 feet No. 11, 145 feet; No. 6, 140 feet; No. 12, T3S feet. No. 5 thus winning the prize.

The judges were James Quinn, JohnC. Hubbard, Geo. S. Thorn, Peter C. Jones, Chief S. F. Traia of Roxbury, J. R. Mullen, Alvin Vinal and Assistant Engineers David S. Tucker and E. A. Casffgerof Charlestown.

The hydrant companies ran from corner of Tremont and Boylston streets, through Boylston to Charles to Beacon, connected with hydrant, ran off 500 feet of hose and put water through pipe; twenty men were allowed each company.

For this contest there were two prizes. First, $100 ; second, a $75 trumpet. The result was as follows : No. 1, 3 minutes and 40 seconds ; No. 2, 3 minutes and 40 seconds; No. 6, 3 minutes and 45 seconds ; No. 5, 4 minutes ; No. 3, 5 minutes and 55 seconds. Nos. 1 and 2 being tied, they drew lots for prizes. No. 1 drawing the first.

After the contests nearly every company in the department held a banquet, entertaining another company, or were entertained themselves.

It is now just thirty years since this parade, and many great changes have taken place, yet some of those whose names are here recorded are in active service to-day, or have been up to within a short time. All of the engines long ago made way for steamers, and are now mostly all in service in small municipalities throughout the country.

Of the companies which have continued in service up to date are the three hook and ladder companies, Hose Company No. 3 (now Hose Company No. 8), and Hose Companies Nos. 5 and 6.

Of the company commanders of that day, W. H. Cunningham of Mazeppa Company No. i_was, until a year or so ago, commander of the Fifth fire district, and is now inspector for an insurance company. John S. Damrell, then foreman of Cataract Company No. 4, is too well known as ex-chief of this department to need further mention.

When Chief Smith died, C. S. Clark succeeded him for a short period, and was in turn followed by Geo. W. Bird, who was succeeded in 1866 by J. S. Damrell. With his advent into this office came an entire change in the workings of the department, and under his rule its excellent repur tation was won.

Captain Wm. Rumney is now a resident at Newtonville.

Captain Harry Hunting is also a resident of Newton, and was the beau ideal fireman and foreman of his day. His company, Barnicoat No. II, was Boston’s favorite.

Oliver Robbins of Tremont Company No. 12 was also a very popular foreman.

Moses C. Thompson of Hose Company No. 2 is now on the police force.

Joseph Barns of Hose Company No. 6 was long an assistant engineer under Chief Damrell.

James Quinn was long a member of the police force, and at one time its deputy chief. He died a few years ago, while captain of station No. 4.

B. T. Mills is now an active member and president of the Veteran Firemen’s Association.

All the other company commanders withdrew from the service when hand engines went out, or shortly after. BOSTON BOY.



[THE JOURNAL does not hold itself responsible for the ideas, opinions or prejudices expressed by its correspondents. Our policy is to give everyone fair play, and our desire is to place on record the experience of practical firemen in the management of fires, fire apparatus and all that pertains to the fire service. To this end, we permit the greatest atitude of expression to correspondents, simply requiring them to avoid personalities, and expecting them to state facts.]


BOSTON, MASS., November 8.—President Cleveland is to-day doing the Hub, and the necks of many of our silver-buttoned protectors have been stretched to the uttermost, endeavoting to get a glimpse of him ; otherwise the fire marshalship bomb is still the leading topic of conversation. There are all sorts of speculations as to what the new marshal will do, how he will do it and when he will begin. Some say that a trip abroad to study the fire service of the continent and London is contemplated.

With the lapse of time nothing favorable to the appointment presents itself. The press is silent, but the firemen feel keenly the cold shoulder that was given them, and take less stock in the civil service, as it is now humbugged with.

At a recent meeting of the city council, a resolution was offered and referred to the fire committee, asking the fire commissioners why the salaries of the assistant engineers should not be increased from $1600 per annum to $2000, as had been those of the police captains. This is just what was wanted ; an opportunity is now given to the commissioners to show if they are favorable to increased salaries for the department or not. The city council has long favored such an increase, but it has always been declared in the department that the commissioners were opposed to it. They will now have to show their bands, and the boys are anxiously awaiting their answer. One thing is certain, if the commissioners want a raise of salaries all along the line, the city council will agree to it.



PROVIDENCE, R. I., November n.—Before the embers of the recent large fire at New Haven, Conn., had grown cold—in fact, before the apparatus had left the premises—Chief Hendrick received the two following communications, which must make fire lighting something of a pleasure in the Elm city :

NEW HAVEN, CONN., November 1, 1886.

A. C. HENDRICK, President Firemen’s Benevolent Association :

DEAR Sir—We tender herewith to yourself and all your men our best thanks for your prompt and hearty response in our behalf this afternoon. We inclose our check for $100 as a slight addition to your fund.

Thanking you again most sincerely, we are,

Very truly yours, WELLS & CALHOUN.

NEW HAVEN, CONN., November r, 1886.

A. C. HENDRICK, President Firemen’s Benevolent Association :

DEAR Sir—Inclosed please find our check for $100 for the benefit of the Firemen’s Benevolent Association, in token of our appreciation of the efforts of the firemen in our behalf on this date.

Very sincerely yours, STODDARD, KIMBERLY & Co.

Each member of the Providence (R. I.) Department has been presented with a neat pocket edition of Worcester’s dictionary by the house of Dr. J. H. Schenck & Son of Philadelphia. Evidently there must have been some bad spelling in the Providence fire laddies’ orders for their spring bitters, etc.

The committee on fire department of Manchester, N. H., has voted to recommend to the city council the passage of an ordinance making the office of chief engineer permanent, that officer to have full charge of the fire apparatus and horses, his compensation to be $1200 a year. It was also decided to recommend that the pay of firemen be increased $25 a year, and that tappers be placed in the residence of every fireman, at the city’s expense. BOHEMIAN.


WASHINGTON, D. C., November 10.—The advent of winter has started the fire-bug on his rambles, and our firemen have been kept on the move during the past two weeks. They begin to think that a fireman’s lot is not a happy one.

On the 22d ult., an alarm was sounded from box No. 324 for a fire in a brick building No. 2155 Pennsylvania avenue, used as a public hall. Someone had dropped a lighted cigar in a box of sawdust used as a spittoon. Thomas Lucas extinguished the flames before any damage worth noting was done.

On the 23d ult., fire broke out in a frame dwelling No. 2204 E street, northwest. Box No. 312 was sounded, and brought out the fire department. A defective flue was the cause ; loss slight.

On the 25th ult., an alarm was sounded from box No. 71 fora fire in the stable of Samuel C. Palmer, the great beer-bottling man. Damage, $600; fully covered by insurance. Cause unknown, but Mr. Palmer suspects a discharged negro.

Shortly after this fire was extinguished, another alarm was sounded from box No. 516, which proved to be the largest and most destructive that the disttict has experienced during the month. It is supposed that some evil disposed individual set fire to William B. Marsh’s stove store, where there was stored about forty gallons of gasoline. This exploded, completely demolishing the building and igniting the two adjoining ones, occupied respectively by M. McCormick as a grocery, and Justice of the Peace James D. Tait.

Acting Assistant Chief John Fr Maddox, with Private Nicholson of Truck Company B, were the first to arrive on the ground. The explosion took place as Chief Maddox was alighting from his wagon, and some of the glass in the front windows of the stove store struck him in the face and on the finger, cutting him quite severely. Private Nicholson was also cut very badly on the neck, and was confined to his room for several days. Both are slightly disfigured, but are again on hand for duty.

The assistant chief’s horse had his eye destroyed by one of the flying missiles, and was badly’ cut about the body.

Besides those enumerated, about twenty-four others were more or less cut with the glass. The estimated loss to buildings and stock was $22,050 ; partly covered by an insurance of $14,400.

Fire Marshal William O. Drew, who inspects all inflammable and low grade oils that come to the district market, has in his annual report, just submitted to the district commissioners, renewed his suggestions and recommendations that some laws be enacted governing the amount and character of oil carried by merchants, as not less than five fires occurred during the year, causing a vast amount of damage to property and persons, and all owing directly to the inferior quality of the oil and the manner in which it was stored.

On the 30th ult. there were two alarms from boxes Nos. 17 and 327. The former was for a fire in a brick stable occupied by C. S. Cudlip ; the loss was small—$50.

The latter was of a more serious nature—Dyer & Co.’s planing mill caught fire from the furnace, and for a while a large conflagration was feared, but Acting Assistant Chief Lowe quickly perceiving the impending danger, ordered a general alarm to be turned in, and the entire department responded. Through the good management of Chief Parris and his assistants, and the efficient work of the firemen, the flames were confined to the drying room. The damage was $2000 ; insured.

Four other small fires have occurred this month, causing a damage of about $100 with full insurance.

Chief Parris has just submitted his annual report of the fire department for the last fiscal year, to the District commissioners, with many good recommendations, including a new engine and truck-house, which Washington is becoming sadly in need of, owing to the thousands of new buildings which have been erected during the last two years. The territory which Engine Company No. 3 has to protect against fire in the southeastern section of the city is, in his judgment, entirely too extended, rendering impossible such quick assistance in case of fire as is afforded the central and northwestern sections of the city.

The new wagon ordered by this department from the Abbott-Downing Co., Concord, N. II., for Chief Parris, has arrived. The chlel is now scouring the country for a good horse, and with his new harness and red wheel wagon wilt cut quite a swell.

John D. Beegle, chief engineer of the fire department of Asbury Park, N. J., and S. W. Kirkbride, ex-chief of the same department, made us a visit to-day. After visiting some of the engine-houses they seemed much pleased, and thought it the best equipped department they had seen.

Private Edwin S. Cooke of Truck Company B commlted suicide by shooting himself through the heart on the 1st instant. He was a good fireman and well spoken of by his associates. EITLAH.


EVERYWHERE, November 8.—The Atlantic Steam Fire Engine Company No. 3 of Lawrence was recently visited unexpectedly by firemen from Great Falls, N. H., and Fall River, both delegations being separate and unknown to each other. The Lawrence boys were equal to the emergency, and entertained their welcome visitors as well as the limited time for preparation would allow.

There isalways a good word to be said of the Newton Department. Recently a cellar stable in the same building with a lodge-room was seriously damaged by fire, a horse suffocated and considerable hay burned—In fact, but for able management, the whole building would have been gutted, if not destroyed. Shortly afterwards Chief Bixby received the following letter :

NEWTON UPPER FALLS, October 29, 1886.

To HENRY L. BIXBY, Chief of Fire Department of the City of Newton :

DEAR Sir—At a regular meeting of the Home Lodge, I. O. O. F., held the 28th inst.. the following resolutions were passed unanimously :

Resolved, That the thanks of the lodge are hereby tendered to Hose Company No. 7 for their prompt and valuable service, in which they were ably assisted by Chemical Engine Company No. 3 and Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, in saving our lodge room from destruction by fire on the night of the 22d inst.

Resolved, That we recognize the management of said fire by Chief Engineer H. L. Bixby, assisted by Captain W. C. Ranlett, as the very best, and tender them our thanks, as well as our congratulations for the result which attended their efforts. Respectfully,

A. L. HALE, Secretary.

Foreman John H. Wilkins of Engine Company No. 1 of Ashburnham is elected to the legislature. There are many measures looking towards the benefit of the service he might at least present, but as nearly every legislature has had one or more active firemen in its ranks, and none ever as much as presented a bill or resolution of any kind in behalf of the fire service or even worked for those coming from outsiders, there is little reason to expect anything else now. Could the fire service have one wide-awake progressive fireman in the legislature who could and would work for its interests much could be achieved.

General Bates Steam Fire Engine Company No. 2 of East Weymouth, one evening recently, presented Chief of Department Frank D. Thayer with a valuable gold badge of elegant design. It bears the words “ Chief Engineer Fire Department, Weymouth,” with an appropriate inscription on the reverse. A supper followed the presentation.

The defeat of Captain Richard F. Tobin, ex-assistant chief of Cambridge, candidate for the State Senate, is a serious loss to the State, and especially to the G. A. R., of which he was State commander, and champion in the legislative halls. His defeat means a defeat ultimately of the Tobin bill for the exemption of old soldiers from civil service examination for offices.

After several postponements on account of the rain, the reconstructed Brockton Fire Department held its annual parade last week. A street parade opened the ceremonies, a clam-bake followed, and then a test of the department’s efficiency, including the working of the handsomest band engine In New England, the Hancock No. i, once Charlestown’s pet.

At six o’clock came supper, at which all the prominent city officials were present. The list of guests included Chief L. P. Webber and exChief John S. Damrell of Boston, Chiefs Macy of New Bedford and W. M. Snow of Middleboro.

The address of Captain Damrell was characteristic and excellent, giving much sound advice as to what that young municipality most needs to make its department a model one. The chemical engine he dwelt upon as Indispensable to every department, and with unanswerable arguments in its favor urged Brockton to purchase one. Captain Damrell was one of the first to test the merits of chemicals, and under his administration their first victories were won and their worth clearly demonstrated.

The selectmen and members of the committee on fire apparatus of Somerset have appointed O. A. Hilliard chief of the fire department of the town. A hook and ladder company will be organized at once, and an effort will be made to secure the use of the steam fire engine which is kept on hand at the Mt. Hope iron works.

The much talked of test of the new pattern piston La France steam fire engine at Beverly has at last taken place. The engine proved itself first class in every particular, and the town accepted it and put it at once into active service. There are many firemen in eastern Massachusetts who would have liked to see the trial of this engine, as it is the first of its kind in this section. An exhibition of its workings was desired in Boston, and was suggested by The Sunday Globe, but fought down by the Beverly newspaper correspondents. Early announcement of the date of the trial at Beverly was. however, expected, and in this again many were disappointed, learning of it only after it was over.

A local paper says : “ The test was made on Rantoul street, with Special Engineer Bardwell at the throttle. C. F. Jenkins represented the La France Company. The first test was through 150 feet of hose, with a 1 J^-inch nozzle, and by actual tape measure threw a horizontal stream of 297 feet; another test with 100 feet of hose, with a Siamese IJ^-inch nozzle, threw a steady horizontal stream of 310 feci; the mate to this steamer, run by the same engineer at Baltimore three weeks ago, made a record of 296 feet with 1 #-inch nozzle. It was almost impossible to get a satisfactory test of a perpendicular stream, owing to the high gale, but a wonderful stream was thrown with a cross wind. Three and one-half minutes after putting the fire under her, 20 pounds of steam was made ; in 8 minutes she was throwing 650 gallons of water per minute, with 80 pounds of steam. The new engine is to be stationed at Beverly Farms, and will be manned as follows : Foreman, H. Foster Williams ; assistant, William T. Cullen ; clerk, Elmer Standley ; engineer, Marshall T. Larcom ; fireman and janitor of hall, S. F. Collamore. The working of the engine is easy and quiet, in fact a model of perfection. Her light running is to be compared with the present noiseless sewing machine, and the old-fashioned noisy .machine.’*

The Excelsior Hook and Ladder Company of Medfield will hold a series of assemblies this winter. This company’s concerts, balls, etc., have been well patronized in the past by the firemen of Norfolk county.

Cottage City has contracted with George M. Stevens of Boston for his improved and perfected system of fire alarm telegraph, to consist of a tower, bell striker, seven signal stations and thirteen tappers for engineers’ and foremen’s houses and fire stations, all to be completed by January 1, 1887.

Eagle Engine Company No. 4 of Millbury will dance at the Tourtelotte House on Thanksgiving eve.

The city of Haverhill a year ago established an inspectorship of buildings and elected Chief of Fire Department Pearson inspector, with the munificient salary of $300 per annum, $150 of which he has drawn for six months service, ending July 1 last. The city solicitor has now declared the office illegal, and the city is in a quandary as to what to do in relation to the $150 already paid. The Mayor states that it must be deducted from the chief’s salary as chief, and they are putting their heads together down there to see the best way out of the matter. For so rich a city to so deprive a faithful official of his well-earned salary, is a piece of meanness and idiocy, which I don’t believe another town would be guilty of. The city council got itself into the muddle and should pay the penalty themselves if they can find no other honest and honorable way out of the difficulty. WANDERING JEW.


NEW BRITAIN, November 10.—At last we have had a working fire, the first since February 22. On Wednesday evening, November 3, we had a mile run over very heavy roads to a house which was burning in the suburbs of the city. It was all uphill going, the horses were very tired and we arrived late. In consequence, the taxpayers in that part of the city are growling, and want a hose company in that vicinity. They will growl still more if taxes are increased to pay for it, but I understand they will petition for it. I hope they may get it, as one is really needed in the vicinity of box No. 13.

R. J. Vance, our popular city clerk and clerk of the Board of Fire Commissioners, was elected a member of Congress last week. No doubt when he goes to Washington he will look into the workings of the fire department there, as he is greatly interested in fire matters, and should a fire occur, Bob will be there to see how they do things up. More than once he has helped the hosemen drag a line of hose when they were tired out, and is always on hand and willing to help in any way he can to save property. The writer has appreciated his aid more than once while on duty, and trusts he may prove a success there as he has done officially here.

I understand an engineer in the Springfield (Mass.) Department has invented a collar for swinging harnesses, which locks itself when the horse puts his neck into it. If reliable it will be a time saver. Our chief has seen it and pronounces it a good thing.

Our alarm is in good working order now. At our last fire it was pulled seven times, which the chief says must be stopped ; once is enough. We all agree with him in that. The telephone company finally agreed to> take care of the line of wire, this being cheaper for them than vacating the city poles. The city employs a man to attend to the electrical part, and at this writing everything is running smoothly.

The members of Engine Company No. 2 give a ball on Thanksgiving eve.

Engine Company No. 1 and Truck Company No. 1 have got their bunk rooms fitted up in nice shape, and meu now sleep there regularly, making three companies out of the four having men sleeping in the houses.

Engine Company No. 2 are t4o have a boiler put in their cellar in order to heat the house with steam—a good idea. LEADVILLE.