Wooden Shingled Roofs a Fire Menace in Ottawa

Wooden Shingled Roofs a Fire Menace in Ottawa

These Inflammable Roof Coverings Nearly Cause Conflagration in Canadian City from Brands Landing upon Them — Portland, Ore., Blaze — Other Fires of Week

Skating Rink and Stables Destroyed at Ottawa

Chief John W. Graham, Ottawa, Can.

Damage to the extent of $150,000 was done by fire in the early morning recently, when Deys Rink, and the Producer’s Dairy Company stables were completely destroyed by fire and a score of houses more or less seriously damaged. A large quantity of equipment in the huge building, and worth over $25,000, was totally destroyed. In the Producer’s Dairy Stables were over 50 horses in their stalls. Nearly 40 of them were safely removed, but the rest were lost in maze of smoke and flames, and were burned to death. Two motor trucks were destroyed, along with a large amount of garage equipment located in the building. Six delivery rigs out of 32 in daily use by the dairy company were saved, while all the winter equipment, including 30 sleighs, was a total loss. The cause of the fire is a complete mystery, the first alarm being received over the telephone at 3.47 A. M. No 9 Motor Hose Wagon and Hook and Ladder in charge of Captain Thompson responded. This was followed by an alarm at 3.50 A. M. from box 265 at Bay and Florence Sts. which brought District Chief Burnett with motor engine 2. Motor Hose Companies 7, 10 and 11, with trucks 7 and 2. Upon Chief Burnett’s arrival and seeing the extent of the flames and the surrounding wooden houses, he at once sent in a general alarm which brought out Chief Graham with Motor Engine 3, Motor Hose 4 and 5, with Trucks 3 and 5. The fire had made such headway that the department at once directed their efforts to the surrounding houses on Florence Street, which was only divided from the rink with a narrow lane, also to the houses on Gladstone Avenue, across from the burning rink. One of the hardest tasks was that encountered in saving the horses in the stables. With the first rush of flames over the building the horses became panic stricken and their screams could be heard for blocks away. A police constable who was just going on duty opened the door leading to Gladstone Avenue, and with the night watchman and several nearby residents succeeded in unloosing the horses and getting them started towards the door. Practically all the horses were untied from the stalls, but some of them at the extreme rear became confused in the smoke and were overcome. One horse after gaining safety turned and in its terror ran back to the stable and was killed. While men were rescuing the horses others were busy running out the wagons, etc., and about a dozen of them were saved with several motor cars. The first alarm was turned in by a resident on Florence Street. Apparently the whole wooden structure was ablaze from end to end when first discovered, for in a very few minutes the great sheets of metal roofing were being shot skywards by the intense heat. The collapse of the south side of the rink increased the danger of the houses on Gladstone Avenue, but further danger was prevented in that direction by several streams being brought to play over the houses. Chief Graham had 5 streams playing on these buildings and the firemen soon had all danger from this direction over, but not before a number of the back kitchens were badly gutted. The firemen in the mean time were doing all they could do by throwing tons of water on the main building to save what appeared to have every sign of becoming a general conflagration, owing to the numerous houses covered with wooden shingles. Two women were slightly injured while rescuing their belongings, while one fireman had his hand severely cut with a piece of metal, but after having first aid administered to him by Chief Graham (who is well versed in all its branches) went back to his duties. Praise was heard from all sides at the able manner that the fire department went about their duties, and only the absence of a wind saved that part of the city from being totally destroyed. There were 15 streams thrown at one time, the water pressure being about 125 lbs., all during the fire. When the general alarm was sounded it drew out the off platoon and 73 men out of 75 responded, one being on the sick list and the other out of the city on his vacation.

Two Views of Ruins of Ottawa Rink and Stables, Showing Houses in Rear Only Partially Damaged

(Continued on page 1027)

(Continued from page 1024)

Photos show the result of the fire with rear of Florence Street houses on the right.


Previous articleTexas Fire Marshals’ Convention
Next articleNew England-Association’s November Meeting

No posts to display