XENIA, ILLINOIS, FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Xenia, Ill., fire department was organised on November 14, 1895, by the present chief, N. T. Peirce, who has continued to hold that office up to the present time. The department has given a good account of itself since it was first established. The equipment consists of a steam fire engine, a combination chemical engine and hose wagon, a hose reel, a hook and ladder truck, and a fuel cart. The alarm system is electric, with sixteen boxes and thirty live gongs, reaching the offices and residences of twenty-live call men. with an auxiliary circuit to the mill and electric light station whistles. While the population of the city is but 1.200, the buildings cover a large territory. In the business district the building ordinances arc rigidly enforced, and are of sufficient strictness in the residential and outlying territory to keep the chances of fire down to the lowest point. The department is well disciplined, and the firefighting force is prompt in answering alarms and well able to cope with whatever tires are likely to break out. The accompanying illustration shows the steam fire engine in use at Xenia. It is of the Cosmopolitan type and was built in 1902 by the American Fire Engine company, of Cincinnati, after ideas suggested by Chief N. T. Peirce, It was on exhibition at the convention of the International Association of hire Kngineers held in New York in October, 1902. Its capacity is 250 gal. per minute; its weight, with coal and water, is 1,910 lb. It has two pistons and pumps, both of the latter being double-acting and cquiped with heater-connections and sprinklers. The engine is only 3 ft. on the tread; but several Cosmopolitans built since have been made wider and heavier than their Xenia predecessor. The combination chemical engine and fjose wagon shown in the accomoanying illustration, was built for the Xenia fire department by the Robinson Fire Apparatus Manufacturing company, of St. Louis. Mo. It is cquiped with one copper, nickel-plated tank ot 35-gal, capacity, 100 ft, of 3/4-in. chemical hose and Larkin shut-off nozzle, 600 ft. of 2 1/2-in. cotton. rubber-lined tire hose, 20-ft. extension-ladders, two axes, two lanterns, two pike poles, two copper hose-jackets, six folding rubber buckets and one crowbar. All the fittings and the handles are nickel-plated. This combination chemical and hose wagon, which is only 3 ft. 2 in. on the tread, is a most effective piece of apparatus and on more than one occasion has done good service at fires in Xenia.